Thread: Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Another hand held image from Tatton Park, I squated to get a lower POV. The light was from what I recall, dull and flat, I think this reflects the scene, but as ususual since using the Linear profile I am wondering if I should have given a little more pop WDYT? As with previous I reduced the sharpening.
    OM-1 40-150mm & MC14 (190mm ff equiv).
    Looking forward to your comments!

ISO 400 EV+O.3, 1/640 sec, f5.6

ACR/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Jon, as previous I would loose the blue and I still feel it needs a tad more at the foot, just a sliver. Why not go to ISO800 for an extra bit of SS, as it just needs a fraction to move...

Sharpness it there but lacking the form to define the structure, colour appears faithful.

TFS
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 10-02-2022 at 10:52 AM.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... looking at the techs , it looks like the Red Deer is quite " tame " at that spot . Good for you to get close !
    Nice solid frame of this relaxed looking stag , love the grass in the antlers .. telling a story of this guy .
    I am away looking at the old 2012 MBP screen ... so will be more conservative with my critique .
    Color and tones looking ok here on this screen .. apart from the blue/cyans looking quite strong here .

Can't follow your thoughts about the " linear profile " and the pop ???? . the profile is just a starting point , can be pushed in LR and PS as far as one likes it ...
    Why reduced sharpening and in what way .... ??

TFS Andreas

Andreas the linear profile was used to start off with a flat image, I was often finding using other profiles that there was too much contrast so this way I build it up not reduce it. I do not disagree in any part with your comments. The coat was wet I found with ny normal sharpening it was refractile- I had to reduce it to ensure the damp coat did not appear refractile.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 10-02-2022 at 12:47 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Jon, as previous I would loose the blue and I still feel it needs a tad more at the foot, just a sliver. Why not go to ISO800 for an extra bit of SS, as it just needs a fraction to move...

Sharpness it there but lacking the form to define the structure, colour appears faithful.

TFS
    Steve
    Steve I May well have done., most scenearios were taken at differing shutter speeds.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Really like the pose you captured here, nice HA too. Those grasses on the antlers add to the image.
    Framing almost there, a tad more at the bottom would have been great - have you already added some canvas, I seem to notice some repetitive patterns but I could be wrong.
    I see Steve removed the blues, looks more natural now. Overall the subject a bit too 'grey' for my taste, perhaps it is the lighting conditions...Sharpness looks good. Yes to a bit more 'pop'

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, I agree with your suggestions.... more to follow!

7. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks pretty good. I personally don't mind the blue in the original image and think something in between that and Steve's version would be best. And yeah, the light was crap but the image does looks a bit flat. I agree with your original idea of making it pop a bit more, maybe with a touch of vib/sat.