Thread: Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Attached Images Attached Images

I went to Tatton Park to see what the Red deer were up to. The rut had not really commenced, I think it is just in the early stages. There was a little bellowing though nothing very serious and some of the adlult males were raking their antlers in the grass to adorn themselves. They also spent time in wallows to annoint themselves with their wonderful eau de urine!
    This one had recently smartened hinself up and was now just having a bit of a shake out. I wasn't exactly sure of the ideal shutter speed so I made a best guess, I wanted it to be obvious he was shaking but I also wanted his eye to be sharp. I chose f4 because I was not so obseessed by DOF in a moving subject. Had to be careful with the sharpening as the coat was mostly wet.

Hand held OM-1 40-150mm & MC 14
    ISO 2500 EV +0.7, 1/2500sec, f4

ACR/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I like the shot and indeed I think you achieved what you set out to capture, but for me, just having a little bit of motion blur in the fur looks a bit out of keeping juxtapose to everything else being sharp. F/4 I guess is around f/7.1 for us on more conventional Mirrorless. I like the fact the rack is covered in grass and mud and the wet, matted coat adds texture to the subject, however well exposed it's all a bit mid, creating a very flat looking image tonally and so the rack for example has little depth. I still think you crop too tight at the foot and leave too much above.

From what I have seen I think the OM-1 is getting to where you should have been after jumping ship.

TFS
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 09-30-2022 at 01:49 PM.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... a nice stag you have captured , popping nicely from the FG/BG .
    The coat looks great with all that wetness and muddy areas .... and the grass decorated antlers are taking this up a notch .
    Not sure about the effect you wanted to create .. as posted it does look kind of weird . And I am actually surprised about the degree of blur at 1/2500 sec ....
    I am ok with the overall tones and colors in general , I would prefer a bit more color .... and those blues has to go , IMHO .
    Detail and sharpness looking good .....

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

I like the way the subject pops against the surroundings, nice choice of DoF. Well exposed, framing would be perfect had you allowed a bit more at the bottom.
    Don't know what the subject looks like in real life in terms of colour but if this were mine I would add a bit of oomph. Love the expression and sense of movement, face looks sharp with good detail and I don't mind the slight blur in the coat.
    Love that rack full of mud and the grasses...well seen and captured!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you! Glad you liked it, you have made some useful comments and I will take another look at subsequent images before I submit them.
    Regarding shutter speed I have noted your comments and now I have a confession to make, I mistyped there, it should have read 1/800 sec and not 1/2500sec. When I saw the activity I took some images at a range of shutter speeds and I typed incorrectly.
    The day was overcast and showers, just occasionally a little sunshine.
    I am currently using a linear profile as a starting point and I am perhaps being a little reserved in adding contrast though I did add varying amounts to the image.
    Hopefully the antlers in the next image will be an improvement, I have a couple ideas.
    I tried to inject a little colour and contrast without going over the top, point taken.... let's see what you think of the next one.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 10-01-2022 at 03:55 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am currently using a linear profile as a starting point and I am perhaps being a little reserved in adding contrast though I did add varying amounts to the image.
    Is the linear Profile for your camera? No need to add any Contrast Jon, or fiddle with these profiles, just back to the old basics of the early days of PS, everyone gets to hung up about Third Party stuff when PS has it, but, what do I know.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Is the linear Profile for your camera? No need to add any Contrast Jon, or fiddle with these profiles, just back to the old basics of the early days of PS, everyone gets to hung up about Third Party stuff when PS has it, but, what do I know.
    Yes the linear profile is specific to my camera OM-1, also have for EM1X and MK III