Thread: Thirsty Red Knot.

Hybrid View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Thirsty Red Knot.

Attached Images Attached Images

Red Knots are a rare bird here, so it was a pleasure to photograph this juvenile for a few days during its layover in late August (this photo being August 24th). It ran over to the shoreline to drink much more often that I usually see in other shorebirds, so the image you see here is what I had in mind. It took some patience as it mostly drank angled away, or too fast for anything good, or at times good but no water trailing off like I wanted. But on this occasion all came together.

Canon R6 + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/2000s., f/5.6, ISO 400, natural light, handheld, small crop to help the comp, eye work as the reflection in it was funky.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the bird, the low perspective, and of course, the droplets. The color palette works well too.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed, I have a small reservation over the tail, is that a slight highlight in the background that is natural...... or perhaps some masking.... did you lift the darks in the tail??

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a really fun pose. You did well getting low and blurring the heck out of a fore- and background which might have otherwise been a bit distracting. Details and exposure look great.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel. I love this! Great overall composition. The detail in the plumage and the contrasting BG works so well. Really like the HA here and the water is the icing on the cake. I do see the highlight section at the tail...the brightest section around the tail feather does look like masking and is a little distracting.