Thread: Great Crested Grebe feeding station

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Crested Grebe feeding station

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... I was so excited to have the option to capture the feeding of the chick , that I chopped off the adult in capture . Could have easily zoomed out ... but was not quick enough and too excited
    They have been simply too close ... to get them both in the frame .
    After leveling the image this was the only pleasing option , apart from cropping harder ... which I do not like in general .
    For me it does work , albeit I do wish I had both in the frame .

Canon EOS R3
    RF 100 - 500 IS L at 500 mm
    HH

F 7,1 ; Iso 1250 ; 1/2500 sec

Processed with Capture One and PSCC 2022 ; cropped to pano for better composition

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Andreas, very nice moment captured. Everything looks good to me but the crop. From reading your comments I assume this is full frame. The story of the image is the adult passing the fish to the juvenile grebe. I would crop tighter to highlight and show more detail of that action. I gave it a try to show you my thinking. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Joe ... for sure your crop does look better and I do agree with your thinking .... but for me the IQ comes first and then the cropping options . And this kinda crop is just overkill IMHO ..... I know folks crop that hard , but I do not . Rather take a less ideal comp/ crop instead of loosing image data .

Cheers Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Thanks Joe ... for sure your crop does look better and I do agree with your thinking .... but for me the IQ comes first and then the cropping options . And this kinda crop is just overkill IMHO ..... I know folks crop that hard , but I do not . Rather take a less ideal comp/ crop instead of loosing image data .

Cheers Andreas
    I thought that would be the case. You need a crop sensor camera so you have more reach... Take care, my friend.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

.... well Joe , cannot have a camera for every scenario that I run into !!! And I do not like the small " cropped toys " in my big hands .... I need the bigger grippy stuff in my hands .