Thread: Sparrowhawk Juvenile

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sparrowhawk Juvenile

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm only posting this one to illustrate just how 'spindly, yet massive' their feet are with razor sharp 'ice pick' talons. With hindsight I could/should have upped the ISO for greater SS, but...

Artie you raised a point on the previous posting re comp, can you please add any suggests if applicable.

Thanks to those who commented or viewed the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Sparrow hawk (J) (Accipiter nisus)
    Camera: Canon EOS R3
    Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/6.3 ISO3200
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop
    Processed via: LRCC 10.5 & PSCC 22.5.1

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject. Wood pigeon is from road kill, or from surrounding farms.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... a better shot from that location IMHO , simply because the wider view includes the whole prey .
    Techs as usual high with a lovely IQ , well done .
    Love the rendering of the greens and yellows ...
    The lifted foot and the feather in the beak is great , the youngster does look concentrated on its business .

Very nice image , good to see no sign of posterization

TFS Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks ideal to me Steve, I am assuming it wasn't a bright day so the colours are quite rich but not oversaturated. I like the moment in time. The mossy "fallen log" is to my mind a little more credible than a vertical stump. I cannot think of any suggestions - rinky tnky

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas.

I am assuming it wasn't a bright day so the colours are quite rich but not oversaturated.
    Correct, it can be a bit of a beast in terms of location, but the rewards are higher. Saturation is minimal, if any, back to more of a 'European' look. Doubt I will be back for a long time now, probably into the later first quarter of '23 now.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quite excellent and I love the feet and talons. The black/green line about the head is less than ideal, as is the head angle. Sharp with lovely colors.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mossy log is great - but it better be with a set-up! The raised foot is a nice touch, and I love the composition showing all of predator and prey. I agree with Artie that the blotchy bis behind the head are distracting. Processing looks excellent from here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve:

Excellent story telling image, with loose feathers, raised foot, prey. Agree about the shutter speed, as there is some motion blur in the head and neck. Very dramatic overall!

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Randy, thanks for taking the time to comment.