Thread: What a feeling........

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default What a feeling........

Attached Images Attached Images

I recently returned from an epic road trip with my family which included self driving South Luangwa. Whilst SL dident provide as many photographic oppurtunities as i had expected the overall experiance was mind blowing. I have spent a large amount of time self driving and searching for good sightings/images. This sighting absolutely thrilled me and the entire experiance is one I will never forget. In short we first found this female leopard unsuccessfully hunting in a gulley late in the afternoon on day one. On day two we were seriously surprised to find her in the same gully at about the same time trying to hunt again. She was being hounded by a hyena and eventually gave up the game. On day three we waited for her however she never arrived so we drove on and decided to come back and have a last look towards the end of the game drive. This was the scene awaiting us. The light could not have been better. I worry that the image is too yellow however i have already reduced the yellows a bit and this was the colour provided by that late afternoon sun at the perfect time. This sighting and the subsequent images made me happier than i have been in a long long time. All comments and crit welcome

Canon 1D4
    Canon 200-400 + 1.4 converter. Image was taken at 560mm
    Iso800
    F5.6
    1/1000
    Last edited by Basil Dardagan; 09-13-2022 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Copyright

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Basil, what a cracking image, the drama outlays any gore, but this is true life in the bush. You must have been right on top of the kill, looks only moments before life was extinguished. I've seen much footage of leopards using these dried out channels to conceal their presence and only then to take down an Impala or Puku in moments, as you say, great excitement and something to witness. Wished I had known you were there I could have put you in touch with a really excellent Guide and Canon user.

As presented I like the pano/letterbox format, echos content and f/5.6 looks spot on, with good detail and clarity. Great to have the leopard looking off set and not quite head on which for me works, offering a really good POV and you can see everything you need to. My only issue is the overall colour, it's just flooded with Vibrance/Yellow and although light there is so good I doubt it is quite like this, but... Just tried a very simple balancing out, however I'm sure there will be other versions following.

Not sure I'll be around to see further postings, but if they are anything like this then well done and congratulations in capturing some cool imagery.

All the best.
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I enjoyed the narrative, it would as you say been one remarkable experience. I like the image more as I look at it, at first I did think rather yellow, if that's how it was then that is pretty much as I would portray it. I did make a version with less yellow, it is subjective - maybe I would remove some more whilst trying to retain something of the ambience.
    An really eye catching image like this is screaming out for 1920px long, I would love to see a larger version.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil ... i do sit here and can't stop looking , what a killer image in double meaning .... hope I have described it right .
    Must have been great to witness the scene , all things has been on your side .... IMHO.
    Gorgeous light , low angle , clear view and so on ....

Regarding the techs , was this shot with the 1D MK IV ??? or was this a typo .

Regarding your question about the overall color , I would ask back .... was the light that yellow / orange at the time of shooting ?? If yes I would keep it as you posted .... if not I would try with a touch lower saturation . Matter of taste .

Will not throw in another version .... as color is subjective and the RP posted by Steve is giving you a different more " balanced " version . In the RP the moody look is wiped out ... IMHO . As said tastes are different at times

Regardless of the color options ... a real cracker of an image

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

THANK YOU Steve, Jonathon and Andreas. Words like that from professionals like yourselves mean the world to me. Forgive me I meant to write that the camera was a Canon 1D2. I am spending a large amount of time looking at the colour and the strong yellow and TO BE HONEST i feel as though my post more correctly portrays the colours of the actual scene.....particularly if you look at the grass. In Steves post it doesnt look like there is any sunlight on the grass at all. HOWEVER i am not sure which post i feel actually looks better........Once again thank you for your comments !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, Basil, this is a really great image. That we can see life in the leopard's eyes and death in the antelope's is wonderful (unless you're the antelope). Framing is awesome as you kept the leopard's tails at one end and the antelope's feet at the other.

I think both versions look good. I didn't mind the yellow tones in your version, but Steve's repost does look quite nice. As Andreas, said, it's your choice since you were there in the field. I'd be stoked with either one!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning capture Basil, takes my breath away. Well seen and captured, superb timing, nicely framed and POV is great. Looks great on my laptop and I am sure even better on the big screen... Congratulations my friend!!!
    Steve's RP does take it up a notch...but I must say this is the best image I have seen from you... Just awesome
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Dorian and Gabriela.

Gabriela do you prefer this to the old 3 male lion image?

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Basil Dardagan View Post
    Thank you Dorian and Gabriela.

Gabriela do you prefer this to the old 3 male lion image?
    My apologies Basil ! Missed this, I no longer get notifications from BPN. Mmmmm...tough question! I think the three male lion image was - and always will be - a big WOW for me. I was jealous of it, jealous of what you had witnessed. Have always had this thing ( called 'love' ) for lions and during those numerous trips to the Kalahari I had seen some amazing stuff, but three male lions displaying so much affection was truly something special.

If I remember correctly you took that image around 2012? Ten years later I still remember it very well...So not sure I can answer your question... Love the leopard and bokkie here too... Your skills in the field as well as PP work have improved tremendously over the years and perhaps the quality of this image is better than the lion image. The light is also better. But maybe try one day to reprocess the three male lion image and share it here for everyone to see... I would be thrilled if you did

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea