Thread: Great Egret Preening... Breeding Colors and Plumage

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Egret Preening... Breeding Colors and Plumage

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Gatorland, Orlando, Florida before the pandemic (I haven't been there since). Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF-S ED, camera and lens supported by a Oben carbon fiber monopod
    1/1000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV -1/3 ISO 160 Auto WB, image captured at 300mm (450mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2022 and Topaz Denoise AI, fixed a shadow on the bird that annoyed me
    Cropped for composition and presentation

P.S. Learn more about Gatorland in the BAA Middle Florida Photography Site Guide that Artie and I co-authored. It is available at this link https://birdsasart-shop.com/the-baa-...ic-site-guide/
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 09-12-2022 at 01:52 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, you do a very nice job with Egrets and Pelicans IMO. The details and colors are nicely done here.

I didn't think I'd like the sun angle much at first glance, but it grew on me and ultimately presents a touch of drama in the image. The green bkg compliments the lore area nicely. Pose is great.

Aside from the small white spec just to the lower right of the subject (may want to stamp that out), can't help but wishing the subject was slightly more left in frame. Upon inspection, one can see why you cropped where you did as those thin feathers would get cut off but it simply feels as though there's a bit too much room left. Personal take of course.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The egret looks very good indeed, fine details in the plumage, the green lores and base of bill look amazing. The greens and yellows in the bird are beautifully echoed in the background.
    I see what Brian is getting at re composition - maybe just content aware crop and add a little more to the rhs?
    Another tiny issue I would attend to the lone sticky out feather bottom left just to make sure it did not go right to the frame edge.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Brian Sump;1271989]Hi Joe, you do a very nice job with Egrets and Pelicans IMO. The details and colors are nicely done here.

I didn't think I'd like the sun angle much at first glance, but it grew on me and ultimately presents a touch of drama in the image. The green bkg compliments the lore area nicely. Pose is great.

Aside from the small white spec just to the lower right of the subject (may want to stamp that out), can't help but wishing the subject was slightly more left in frame. Upon inspection, one can see why you cropped where you did as those thin feathers would get cut off but it simply feels as though there's a bit too much room left. Personal take of course.[/QUOTE

Brian, thank you for viewing and commenting, I will revisit the image with your suggestions in mind. Thanks again...
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    The egret looks very good indeed, fine details in the plumage, the green lores and base of bill look amazing. The greens and yellows in the bird are beautifully echoed in the background.
    I see what Brian is getting at re composition - maybe just content aware crop and add a little more to the rhs?
    Another tiny issue I would attend to the lone sticky out feather bottom left just to make sure it did not go right to the frame edge.
    Hi Jon, thank you for viewing and commenting. I will go back to the images keeping your suggestions in mind.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe does look nice all around .
    Pose , exposure , details all spot on for me .
    I am ok with the comp/ crop .... would prefer a looser classical 2x3 portrait crop

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really beautiful pose and detail Joe! I love the green breeding colors and the BG is great! I am also fine with the composition. I think keeping the feathers on the lhs is nice.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, just get a bit more tonal range/depth in the green/yellow area. You have some odd cloning pattern in the first lh part of the white plumage of the wing, square blocks????? Looks like you have blown in some green on the LHS too, going in part around the 'spiky' feathers which has also drifted into the white plumage too, underlying hints of green, easily fixed with layers/masks. Great colours in the backdrop that dovetail with the subject, cool.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, just get a bit more tonal range/depth in the green/yellow area. You have some odd cloning pattern in the first lh part of the white plumage of the wing, square blocks????? Looks like you have blown in some green on the LHS too, going in part around the 'spiky' feathers which has also drifted into the white plumage too, underlying hints of green, easily fixed with layers/masks. Great colours in the backdrop that dovetail with the subject, cool.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, thank you for viewing and commenting. I worked on the image, here is a repost. WDYT?
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, slightly better, but the whites just look off, they appear a bit grubby and I thought they might be more of a 'pristine' white??? The issue with mine is that its highlighting cloning elements sadly, but it may help in the 'bigger picture'.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, slightly better, but the whites just look off, they appear a bit grubby and I thought they might be more of a 'pristine' white??? The issue with mine is that its highlighting cloning elements sadly, but it may help in the 'bigger picture'.
    Hi Steve, I fixed the square areas in the cloning, not sure where they came from, nothing I did had straight lines, totally puzzled. Regarding the whites on the body area, in the original/master file it was less white than the neck and head. I think because the light is reflected at a different angle maybe somewhat dirty. Thank you for your edit and suggestions, much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, just throwing in an option, at the end of the day you have to distill from the feedback give, all the best.

Steve