Thread: White tailed eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White tailed eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla)

Attached Images Attached Images

Image taken whilst on a chartered boat on the Isle of Mull.
    The eagle was baited.
    OM-1, 40-150mm & MC20 (320 ff equiv)
    ISO 2000 EV +0.3, 1/2500sec f6.3,

ACR/PSCC
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 09-12-2022 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Removed blue cast in the hillside

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another very dynamic frame from the series Jon!

I like this pose and great underside view. Won't replicate prior comments about the bkg and such.

A small nit pick - it seems like there's some noticeable masking issues... there's some fuzziness above the head and around the beak and some hazy effects behind the upper wing, albeit minor.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Another very dynamic frame from the series Jon!

I like this pose and great underside view. Won't replicate prior comments about the bkg and such.

A small nit pick - it seems like there's some noticeable masking issues... there's some fuzziness above the head and around the beak and some hazy effects behind the upper wing, albeit minor.
    Brian I have gone back to the raw file, I think this is a DOF issue, there is a hint of softness on the periphery mentioned.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... glad to see that Mull offered not only fog and rain
    I would be pleased with the pose and the whole image if this was mine , easy as I have none of this species .
    Well done in capture and the nice separation from the land .
    Color and tones looking good to me as does the sharpness and the rendered details .

I am with Brian about the " masking issue " ... it is all around the subject , for sure not a DOF issue !!!!

i.e. you have some " brownish tones " bleeding into the water and the land .... wonder where they are coming from .
    Something went " wrong " in the process

Would work on that issue

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Jon ... glad to see that Mull offered not only fog and rain
    I would be pleased with the pose and the whole image if this was mine , easy as I have none of this species .
    Well done in capture and the nice separation from the land .
    Color and tones looking good to me as does the sharpness and the rendered details .

I am with Brian about the " masking issue " ... it is all around the subject , for sure not a DOF issue !!!!

i.e. you have some " brownish tones " bleeding into the water and the land .... wonder where they are coming from .
    Something went " wrong " in the process

Would work on that issue

TFS Andreas
    Andreas, I have gone back to the raw file and removed all masks and I see the beginnings of a halo so whatever it is it is there to begin with and maybe I have compounded the issue. I attach an image processed differently
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 09-13-2022 at 04:28 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Andreas, I have gone back to the raw file and removed all masks and I see the beginnings of a halo so whatever it is it is there to begin with and maybe I have compounded the issue.
    Good to hear .... if you blur a mask you need to mask the mask to avoid any halos , there are folks who can spot that easily without pixel peeping
    Images like this will show the haloing so obvious ..... sadly .
    But solution is easy ...

Just surprised that you are not seeing this personally ....

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, they might be the size of a Barn door, but with hindsight I would always go to 1/3200 as the default and so could you here and it may have just added that tad of extra. If the OM1 is better for noise then no problem, will see just how good it is in a few months time, battle of the camera bodies.

The horizon intersecting through, I'm 50/50, think the frame would have been better with the WTSE against the backdrop more of the hills, however.... and a tad more below would help I think??? Masking issues not fussed you know where you have made errors, but personally the 3/4 & darks are a bit hefty for my tastes and hide more underlining detail, but a lot of folk like contrast rather than detail so your call. You have data in the head and neck so pulling more out will help the brighter elements and offer more form.

One last thing being 'picky', loose the logging HL top left it draws the eye.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this frame better than the other one I commented on. I really like the underside view and love the water droplets falling from the catch! Nits already mentioned from others.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another nice frame of the WTE Jon.....Like the last one I think the BG is real strong and adds a lot....Nice flight pose and detail on the bird....Again, it brings back memories....

Will