Thread: Blackheaded gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blackheaded gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held image taken prostrate on a local beach. I suspect you won't be keen on the clumps of weeds in the background. I left them there, this is a contentious point here in Wirral England. Until recently Hoylake was regarded as a "pretty good clean sandy beach for people to have picnics on etc." (It was treated with glycophosphate to kill pretty much anything that took root).
    Over the last few years various plants have encroached and provided homes for rare insects and even rarer plants have appeared- because the glycophosphate treatment was suspended along with the suspension of raking. A scientific study has been made and resulkted in considerable support of the beach being left as it is to progress to a new habitat for wild life - Snow buntings and Linnets along with white, pied, grey and yellow wagtails are now becoming regular visitors. In 2023 there will be a further review - I would not be surprised if the glycophosphate and raking resumes.

OM-1 300mm f4 & MC20 (1200mm eqiv ff)

ISO 1000 -0.3, 1/2500 sec f8

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon .... lovely sweet warm light and the feeding action is gorgeous !!!
    Nice low shooting angle and good sharpness with the right amount of DOF .... looking very good .
    Colors and tones spot on overall ... might add more tone via a mask to the FG fading off to the BG .
    Not too excited about the comp ..... too central for my taste , would try to go with the rule of thirds , many different options possible .

Nice one and TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. It would definitely work better as a pano with 1/2 the mud from the bottom cropped away. Why? It does nothing for the image. I like the seaworm and the open bill. And I like gulls :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, very nice activity/behavior captured. Rendered nicely on subject and worm too.

I like the overall feel and the habitat. It really paints a great picture and makes perfect sense of the worm being plucked out.

Do agree very much with Artie's take - a pano crop to minimize all the FG could be a great way to go and enhance an otherwise great frame!