Thread: Bateleur

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bateleur

This striking bird, a snake eagle relative, ranges throughout sub-saharan Africa. The white in the secondaries indicates this is a female; the male has all black upperwings.

I am aware the overhead perch is not great, but I figured I'd share this image because it's such a cool bird. My bar for international shots is admittedly lower since I'm never sure
    when I'm gonna have another opportunity.

Closed down to f/8 to keep the entire subject in focus.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS R5
    1/400 at f/8, ISO 1600
    Processed in LR CC and Topaz

Name:  bateleur 072122.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  557.7 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Despite the slightly upward view this has turned out well, great feather detail and soft light, good stare.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A striking bird indeed Dorian. Love the colours and detail here, and works so well against the white BG.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian, love the stare, that could only have gotten better if the bird had turned it's head a little more to the viewers right. Nice colors, wonderful feather detail, the bird really shows nicely against the white background. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian, great detail, but the white backdrop is not ideal and I'm missing the eye contact here. Agree that the shooting angle is steep, but I would rather have this in the bag than not. The Martial eagle is what you really want to bag.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Dorian ... i do love this species , so I am happy to see a photo.
    The angle is steep and maybe not ideal ...but the plain white sky is bothering me more ....
    The eagle itself looks good , is a bit too cool for my taste and more could be extracted from the plumage .

My RP is covering my suggestion

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the image and feel that Andreas' repost improves it. I love the clean perch and the white sky, and the not-that-steep angle does not bother me at all. Note that even in white sky conditions that the light is directional -- the right side of the bird's face (to our left), is somewhat in shadow0.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it, seems very natural, I wasn't fortunate enough to get so close when I was there, I think Andreas' repost is am improvement.