Thread: Lilac-breasted Roller (South Africa)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lilac-breasted Roller (South Africa)

As this is the bird everyone wants to see in South Africa, I'll give the people what they want as I start a long string of posts from South Africa and Namibia.

I saw hundreds of these bird across my 6-week trip -- most on telephone wires and posts along the road -- but this image represents the lone photographic crack it afforded (close enough, eye level, clean BG, etc).

As per the rules in Kruger NP, where you're not allowed to leave your vehicle unless you're in a fenced camp, this was shot out the driver's side window of our rental car. Kruger is amazing, but I did experience some
    amount of photo frustration because I wasn't allowed to stalk anything (lest a lion or leopard stalk me).

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS R5
    1/1250 at f/5.6, ISO 1600
    Processed in LR CC and Topaz DN. Cloned two tiny twigs which branched off perch directly below the tail.

Name:  lilac-breasted roller 072122.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  599.3 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow that is beautiful, perfection! You've set a high standard for the remainder of your Africa posts.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I bet it was a super trip overall Dorian. One I'd sure like to enjoy one day.

As for this beauty, what a stellar specimen. The colors are quite fantastic and are enjoyable among such a pretty bkg.

Based on the difficulty of shooting, one could not request a prettier perch but just to execute surely brings you great joy. Not a whole lot to nit, looking forward to more!

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely agree with the above. Colours are LBR and Africa perfect all over.Soft light -great.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian ... had a laugh about your intro , not leaving the car in any SA park unless you are on a walking safari . At least when you are traveling with your rental car .... yes it makes shooting birds sometimes difficult .

Lovely capture of this beautiful species ... with a perfect head turn . The soft light helped for easy exposure and keeping tons of details .

Looks nice overall with your usual high techs , nicely done .

Personally I would crop to portrait ...

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image all around Dorian! Love the detail, the colors and BG! I'm fine with the perch and would love to have this in my files

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

this was shot out the driver's side window of our rental car. Kruger is amazing, but I did experience some amount of photo frustration because I wasn't allowed to stalk anything (lest a lion or leopard stalk me).
    Welcome to our world in Wildlife Dorian, however places like Botswana will allow you to go off road, and if you want to follow Cheetah on foot try Tswalu, that is exhilarating.

Overall colours look good and with nice detail, perhaps a tad bright, but... good job on a clean backdrop.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.