Thread: Fall migration is on Least Sandpiper

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fall migration is on Least Sandpiper

Attached Images Attached Images

Least Sandpiper shot in Nd Slough. Fall migration is going full bore. I got this sandpiper along with some plovers. This was shot from my floating blind. Which is very difficult because its not in the water . I push into position on top of the mud flats. Shot in vertical. Everything in Nd is very wary and wild.
    That being said I was checking out a slough the other day and White faced Ibis let me approach rather close. Of coarse had no camera. Birds are pretty smart.
    Processed with Dpp 4 Photoshop, Topaz noise. Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Canon R3
    Rf 600 f/4 L IS
    840mm
    M 1/2500
    ISO 1600

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loving the low angle, details, raised leg, and engaging head angle, but the whole frame looks really hazy and washed out. I also think the crop is wonky (i.e. too square-ish); the bird needs much more room to the left. All of this is seems fixable, so I'd be very interested to see a repost if others confirm the concerns I have. All the settings you used looked optimal, so that's also good.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks hazy to me, several options available maybe worthwhile applying a little Dehaze and then considering other form of contrast.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much for the comments Dorian much appreciated. It was shot in some fog. I'm thinking maybe the lens fogged up also. I did some clarity and dehaze in post.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments as it was shot in some fog. I will try the contrast.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Repost

Here is the repost added quite a bit of dehaze and some clarity,contrast to remove the fog.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin ... love the low POV and the smooth FG/BG .
    the walking pose is great as is the sweet light . color is spot on for me .
    the shot was taken in fog , so all will be quite flat and you kept the image close to reality ...with both versions . Others think Mit should be less flat ... I am 50/50 on keeping it more natural or make it more pleasing ?
    the colors can be pushed more ...

Here is just a more attractive ??? version . WDYT ?

Easy thing to do .... selected the darks 2 via TK 8 plugin ( auto levels to the mask ) and used a curves adjustment layer set to " soft light " blend mode . duplicate the layer by using cmd/ctrl J then make a group add layer mask to the group and paint in the desired effect . Done I a minute ....

TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much Andreas for your thoughts. I do see where your adjustments make a difference mine is flat. I think I would like something between my last edit and yours. So many ways to make adjustments.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to give me another option. Helps me to learn other processing techniques.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I know you do not use LR, but for those who do the "dehaze" slider would do a nice job of that initial "foggy" look. Good low angle Kevin, and the raised foot adds a lot of interest. Viva shorebird migration...going on up here too!
    Last edited by Daniel Cadieux; 09-02-2022 at 02:06 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin, very nice capture overall. Lovely low perspective and I like the little mud dragging foot....

Perhaps it could benefit from a touch of noise reduction and I do like the slightly more 'punchy' version Andreas posted. Just takes some of the haze away.

Look forward to more!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Kevin, When you have a minute, if you like, please send me the raw file via a large file sending service. thanks with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.