Thread: Female Phalarope

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Female Phalarope

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in mid-May at a pond near Walden, Colorado, at 10am. The day was overcast so bright cloudy, and there was quite a bit of wind. The pond is not accessible by foot; it is adjacent to a rural road without real pull offs, a fair amount of traffic, and is surrounded by a fence. I was shooting out a car window using a Sony Alpha 1 body and a 200-600mm Sony lens with a 1.4x teleconverter. I was afraid of blowing out the whites on the neck, and Raw Digger shows that it is underexposed by just over 1/3 stop. I cropped the original by about 15% and otherwise didn’t change any elements.

Technical data:
    Sony Alpha A1 body
    Sony 200-600mm Sony lens with a 1.4x teleconverter at 783mm
    ISO: 1000
    Aperture: 9
    Shutter: 1/800
    Program: Manual
    Focus Mode: AF-C
    White Bal.: Auto

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN and apologies for the late response to your post. You have a very good tool box so some great results will be expected.
    Your posted shot would class as a small in frame or maybe a record shot showing some habitat context.
    The pose is very good with nice head turn but as you explain, access made it impossible to get lower or closer.
    It will be nice to see more of your work with more of the subject in the frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN Geri!! I love the "look-back" pose here. Yes, small in the frame, but the composition is OK. The FG is a overpowering IMO - I kinda wish it was smoother and not as bright - cropping a bit from below would help minimize it. The top left green vegetation is excellent as is. Hoping to see more from you!

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Colin.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Daniel,
    Yes, I see what you mean. I'll see about cropping from below.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geri, welcome to BPN. I agree with Colin's and Dan's comments and critique. I think you could have raised your shutter speed, 1/800 is slow for bird photography. The ISO listed was 1000, the Sony A1 is a wonderful camera (Artie say's the best) and can handle higher ISO's especially with the noise reduction software that is available today. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geri, welcome! It's great to have you.

There have been some great comments above, which I also agree with. I like the overall artistic through behind this composition and believe if some of the brights were a bit tamed it might help a good bit.

Look forward to more posts!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

GG,

Welcome to BPN. All good stuff above. What did it take you to get here? Twenty years, or more?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.