Thread: Sparrow hawk, new female

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sparrow hawk, new female

Attached Images Attached Images

For the last few months we knew the adult female was on eggs, the juvenile wasn't showing and then a few weeks ago this female from last year decided to visit, why not with a free meal.

Thanks to those who commented or viewed the last posting.

Jon, perhaps the one with the full head in view may have wetted your appetite more????

Steve

Subject: Sparrow hawk (f) (Accipiter nisus)
    Camera: Canon EOS R3
    Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO6400
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop
    Processed via: LRCC 10.5 & PSCC 22.5.1

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject. Wood pigeon is from road kill, or from surrounding farms.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful capture Steve, nice techs and I am very taken with the colours and that stunning background. Good pose and those talons gripping the flesh of the pigeon add to the drama. Lovely detail as expected, great image quality too

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve.....Very nice pose, HA and detail on the Hawk.....I also like the talons gripping.....Maybe some more room on top......On my monitor the colours in the FG look a wee bit over saturated....especially on the RHS.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, the R3 has been knocking the ball out the park over the months, releasing the R5 for better weather, plus the AF is far better, especially when configure, but definitely not a body you can take straight out the box.

This female like the others is quite chilled and once settled pays no attention to lens movements, but not quiet as good as a Genet, but that might not be too far away.

Just now thinking about how we can up the game on the ‘style, design of the imagery’, so will see in a few weeks time, but you saw what the KF thought of the Hawk, just hope both play ball, but hey you know what will happen. Need some new bits of kit, one bit may need to wait, but it will certainly help with the BKG.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Will, yes it could do with a sliver more, just lazy in adding it. Light was from the LHS so there is a transition and I did push the colours a fraction more, artistic licence I suppose, but it all pops nicely on a 24x16, as greens are notoriously awkward and can have tendency to go muddy when printed.

The talons are really cool, the legs are really spindly for such a raptor, but what a grip and razor sharp, and for me it all about maintaining detail like this and to endeavour in showing the subject off to it’s best. Glad you got to see your one in good light, they really are one of the super predators we have.

6. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thanks Gabriela, the R3 has been knocking the ball out the park over the months, releasing the R5 for better weather, plus the AF is far better, especially when configure, but definitely not a body you can take straight out the box.

This female like the others is quite chilled and once settled pays no attention to lens movements, but not quiet as good as a Genet, but that might not be too far away.

Just now thinking about how we can up the game on the ‘style, design of the imagery’, so will see in a few weeks time, but you saw what the KF thought of the Hawk, just hope both play ball, but hey you know what will happen. Need some new bits of kit, one bit may need to wait, but it will certainly help with the BKG.
    Thank you so much Steve,
    Still waiting for Nikon to deliver the Z9 I ordered months ago... but for now resigned to the idea that I am going to the Kruger in September with the old kit

Your Sparrow Hawk is awesome and so tolerant of the camera shutter...more so than my Genet who only minutes ago descended quietly from the roof of my veranda onto a branch of the tree nearby. Seems I have to be perfectly still if I want to enjoy her presence because she won't tolerate any movement...

Your latest images encourage me to become more creative 'out there' but also in terms of processing. Never too late to improve and to look for that 'divine spark', right?
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Steve ... another cool and pleasing Hawk shot .
    the R3 seems to work well for you , at least the image does look great in terms of general outcome .
    subject does look great , but actually not better than with the R5 at least at this web size ....

i do agree with Will about the space on top , plus I would tone down the white feathers .... too eye catching for my taste .

overall nicely done and for sure great fun to photograph

tfs Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, I think you will have a great time, irrespective of not shooting with the Z9 and it's capabilities, hope you also included the 400mm f/2.8 too in the order. Drop me a line, or better Pete to help set up the camera to its max potential. A lot is quite similar to Canon, albeit I did think with the update Firmware it incorporated some of the Olympus Pro capture, but in a very 'limited' way. The electronic shutter can be at first, disconcerting, especially if it's silent and so no need for ear defenders anymore, will ask Pete if that can be over ridded to give you some faint noise like the R3, but you will easily fill a card, will drop you a line for the cheapest cards with secure transit.

Everyone who posts, I'm sure, encourages others to get out there, you just need more time to spend out in the field, as your backyard is full of superb subjects.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

would tone down the white feathers .... too eye catching for my taste .
    Thanks Andreas, deliberately done, albeit not blown, just 'bright white' as I like the contrast aspect to the image.

The R3 to me is just awesome and IMHO the culmination of the transitions over the years of the DX series, so with all the Customisation available, both to buttons, but also AF it just nails the subject, but I've had zero time for any BIF, but with pre set in the C setting Im sure it will capture things with ease. Yes, occasionally it misses the beat, but often that is due to the subject, but as you have shown, high ISO just pushes some of the competition out the window. I had it on loan on an ad hoc basis and so it was a few months of hard wait until it finally arrived, but on par with the Z9. R3s are still trickling through, but easy enough to obtain in SA which might have been an option if things had continued on the waiting front.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Gabriela, I think you will have a great time, irrespective of not shooting with the Z9 and it's capabilities, hope you also included the 400mm f/2.8 too in the order. Drop me a line, or better Pete to help set up the camera to its max potential. A lot is quite similar to Canon, albeit I did think with the update Firmware it incorporated some of the Olympus Pro capture, but in a very 'limited' way. The electronic shutter can be at first, disconcerting, especially if it's silent and so no need for ear defenders anymore, will ask Pete if that can be over ridded to give you some faint noise like the R3, but you will easily fill a card, will drop you a line for the cheapest cards with secure transit.

Everyone who posts, I'm sure, encourages others to get out there, you just need more time to spend out in the field, as your backyard is full of superb subjects.
    Thank you very much Steve! I will certainly let you know when my order arrives and speak to Pete too.

Been trying to get out there a bit more. Summer is around the corner so I won't be coming home from work in the dark... hopefully the subjects present themselves
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot Steve love it just as presented. Just maybe have another look at the yellows, the legs/feet and moss look pretty intense ....but maybe of course they were?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The yellow is more probably a slightly paler shade of ‘Kodak’ Jon, but trying to appeal to the folk across the pond…

However at times things can get a bit saturated too.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, beautiful bird nicely shown. I pity the prey but that is part of the natural world. The feather detail and brown color of the bird looks great. I am not familiar with the bird so take what I write next in context. Here juvenile hawks have light yellow legs that darken as they age, also on my display the greens look a tad too saturated. Wonderful capture, thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Striking capture. Great look from the hawk. Yes to a bit more on top; tight frame almost makes it look as if the bird is hunched over. And yes, perhaps a bit too saturated for some tastes, but a handsome frame in any event.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird is gorgeous and sharp and you handled the white feathers perfectly. You need to find a way to add some black at the top and improving the compositional balance.

What is the prey species? Was this a kill or was the prey provided? I ask because I am confused by your mention of a "free meal."

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

improving the compositional balance.
    What would you suggest Artie?

What is the prey species? Was this a kill or was the prey provided?
    As per previous posting Artie and detailed at the foot of the posting, it's a common Wood pigeon, either hit and is road kill, or occasionally shot on local farmers fields as they are fare game and eat all the seed crops. Free meal - we have provided it.