Thank You Posts

Default Great Spotted Woodpecker

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon R6
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 at 560mm
    f/5.6
    1/125
    ISO 3200

Whilst in the hide a heavy down pour come on for about 30 mins....This gave me plenty time to 'experiment' with slow SS exposures.....Not sure if this was the best SS to show the heavy rain, but I was happy with it....Also the IS in camera now helps to prevent motion blur on the bird....Gimbal Head attached to a plate....

Will

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Well done Will, the slow SS and perfect DoF has created a really good atmospheric shot. As presented I think the WP gets lost, going vertical brings more of the subject to the viewer. Cropping for here is less of an issue in terms of lost pixels, but...

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Well done Will, the slow SS and perfect DoF has created a really good atmospheric shot. As presented I think the WP gets lost, going vertical brings more of the subject to the viewer. Cropping for here is less of an issue in terms of lost pixels, but...

TFS
    Steve

Thanks for that.....I was actually thinking about going vertical Steve......But, thought leave 'more' rain in the scene......Maybe somewhere between the two....

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hey Will ... really cool rain shot of the WP .
    very very well done , IMHO , all does come nicely together .
    tones , colors etc spot on .
    I can understand where Steve is coming from with his crop .... but too much is lost of the rainy mood , so a mix of OP and RP might do the trick for me .

Not sure if you know that , but when the IS is dialed in on the lens , there is no incamera IS or IBIS . At least as far as I know ....

cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, a gorgeous capture. I, too, love the rain effect. You nailed the execution!

Really unique texture on the bark. I love the pop of reds and the exposure looks good. With Andreas on the comp, because the rain is so sweet, perhaps something in between.

I wonder if you might be able to enhance the talons just a touch? Probably not in plane, but perhaps worth a look.

TFS sir!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

.I was actually thinking about going vertical Steve......But, thought leave 'more' rain in the scene......Maybe somewhere between the two....
    In which case Will, I would suggest then keep as posted but just move the subject a tad more to the right, thus taking off a more central POV. Having less to the right, more to the left, the negative space then works better.

Also the IS in camera now helps to prevent motion blur on the bird..
    Can you expand on this Will, I think I know, but be good to know, thanks.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot in the rain Will, I like it. Pleasing colours and contrast.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You got the timing right there Will, the rain is portrayed perfectly. I prefer the OP for composition as the rain is such an important element of the shot

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments and thoughts....much appreciated...

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    In which case Will, I would suggest then keep as posted but just move the subject a tad more to the right, thus taking off a more central POV. Having less to the right, more to the left, the negative space then works better.

Can you expand on this Will, I think I know, but be good to know, thanks.
    Hi Steve....I'm not technically minded as far as how the IS works, I know a gyroscope is involved and corrects any movement in the camera......Andreas saying that IS in camera is off when using IS on the lens....I don't know about that, but, surely the more IS the better, even on a gimbal head.....This image is probably the slowest SS I have used...especially with an active WP.....I can't see any motion blur on the bird.....I know I may have got lucky, as some others had slight motion blur on the head area......To get keepers at this SS, the more IS the better IMO.....

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, to me the jury is out on using IS when on a tripod/gimbal, I’ve not noticed an issue. If you use mirrorless body and RF glass the IS works at it’s best. However for me it’s all about the AF/Tracking which has come on in spades loads and I have always said Canon is/was the sleeping Tiger, now very little is between Canon, Nikon & Sony, all three have pros and cons, but that’s just my take, others will disagree.

To get what you achieve tech wise you were bang on, subject Mr WP, challenging because they are always on the move, so… we’re you lucky yes, and if you were on electronic even better, but the advancements you now have in the R6 certainly helped and things are only going to get better ie with the R3 195fps!

I’m sure Andrea’s will chime in too.

12. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post