Thank You Posts

Default Tawny Owl 3

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon R6
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 at 560mm
    f/5.6
    1/500
    ISO 1600

Another image from the set up........Another unexpected visitor, especially as these birds are nocturnal .....This is a different perch and pose from the last ones.....Gimbal on a plate.....ACR and PS.....Almost FF, cropped for comp.

Will

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will can you remember, is this the post close to the hide about 7-8m away from the hide, in front of all the little birds???
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Will can you remember, is this the post close to the hide about 7-8m away from the hide, in front of all the little birds???
    This is further than the small woodland birds .....I was doing the woodland birds, hence the 1.4.... It would have been better bare lens, but I wasny expecting the Tawny flying in... and flying between perches......After that, I removed the 1x4, unfortunately the Tawny never returned....The IS within camera, along with the IS on the lens and with the gimbal, Slow SS worked.....

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK Will, why I asked was this...

Like the 1DXs I would firstly go to Auto ISO, ramp the ISO here to 3200, as you re using Topaz and if exposed perfectly then you should be using around 2 on the amount for NR, not Auto. By upping the ISO irrespective on a gimbal you have a better SS just in case it fractionally moves. IS is good, much better with RF glass but the 600mm is the only lens I currently would rate, plus you could got to say f/7.1, 5.6 could be OK but without seeing the raw its hard to say. Cases try Auto, it does quite a good job here or Case 1.

Re the image I would like a bit more below I find it a fraction tight, colours appear flat, just a bit more depth in terms of colouring, albeit the weather seems overcast and a wee bit 'direct'. The plumages being bedraggled in the face is cool and gives the subject more character. If the Tawnys are anything like Barn owls they will not hunt in the wet.

TFS
    Steve

PS there is another product Topaz will probably launch next month, might be more of a gimmick, but Im sure a lot of folk again will buy into it as it encapsulates three areas.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK Will, why I asked was this...

Like the 1DXs I would firstly go to Auto ISO, ramp the ISO here to 3200, as you re using Topaz and if exposed perfectly then you should be using around 2 on the amount for NR, not Auto. By upping the ISO irrespective on a gimbal you have a better SS just in case it fractionally moves. IS is good, much better with RF glass but the 600mm is the only lens I currently would rate, plus you could got to say f/7.1, 5.6 could be OK but without seeing the raw its hard to say. Cases try Auto, it does quite a good job here or Case 1.

Re the image I would like a bit more below I find it a fraction tight, colours appear flat, just a bit more depth in terms of colouring, albeit the weather seems overcast and a wee bit 'direct'. The plumages being bedraggled in the face is cool and gives the subject more character. If the Tawnys are anything like Barn owls they will not hunt in the wet.

TFS
    Steve

PS there is another product Topaz will probably launch next month, might be more of a gimmick, but Im sure a lot of folk again will buy into it as it encapsulates three areas.
    Thanks for that Steve .......I was trying out Auto ISO yesterday, for the first time on some Gulls at the harbour..... I thought it actually worked better than the 1Dx's.......I feel more confident now with the R6 and higher ISO....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, from when the first 1DX was launched I shot always Auto, the same with the R3, less so with the R5. As I have said, don’t worry, embarrass it. Just make sure the camera is correctly set up and the ‘three’ back buttons are confirmed, if they are in sequence to your shooting it will only aid in nailing the shots. You may also find keeping to electronic is better?????

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, from when the first 1DX was launched I shot always Auto, the same with the R3, less so with the R5. As I have said, don’t worry, embarrass it. Just make sure the camera is correctly set up and the ‘three’ back buttons are confirmed, if they are in sequence to your shooting it will only aid in nailing the shots. You may also find keeping to electronic is better?????
    Tried electronic....I found it difficult to get 'close' flight shots, with room in front......prob error on my behalf, as I never realised that focus would lock on whilst moving the POV......I sort of 'like' the old noise of the mechanical shutter....a lot quieter I may add on the R6....

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, once locked on you can recompose which is another benefit. Being silent can in part be a little disconcerting, but worth again pursuing, especially with BIF, as you will find that ‘ideal wing position’ in the many frames, compared to mechanical.

Sounds like you are still finding your way.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, once locked on you can recompose which is another benefit. Being silent can in part be a little disconcerting, but worth again pursuing, especially with BIF, as you will find that ‘ideal wing position’ in the many frames, compared to mechanical.

Sounds like you are still finding your way.
    As John Lennon said.....Everything will Be OK in the End.....If it's Not OK, It's Not the End.....

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good shot Will, I have never noticed red eyelids - particularly noticeable on the right eye. The owl is well illustrated colours and details are there in the ruffled up feathers and it appears to be relaxed.
    I have a minor issue in the the owl has an almost cut out appearance, i.e. the boundary of the owl and perch to the background appears to be very abrupt. I am not sure if this is a masking issue or purely due to the fact that the perch was placed well away from anything else.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon....Thanks for that....The BG is a good 50 yards away.....maybe that is what causing the illusion...

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Will ,
    a super clean shot of this owl , luckily the owl gave you a nice head turn . the bg looks good and does not look like a cut out to me .
    tones , details and sharpness are nice in the subject . not sure where the visible grain is coming from in the BG ... for me even visible on the old MBP from 2012 . but this might be just me .
    i am missing some more punch in the colors , specially the perch is rather flat ....

not sure if I understood your exchange with Steve correctly , are you using DNAI on images like this ??

besides my critical points , a very nice capture !!!

tfs Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    hi Will ,
    a super clean shot of this owl , luckily the owl gave you a nice head turn . the bg looks good and does not look like a cut out to me .
    tones , details and sharpness are nice in the subject . not sure where the visible grain is coming from in the BG ... for me even visible on the old MBP from 2012 . but this might be just me .
    i am missing some more punch in the colors , specially the perch is rather flat ....

not sure if I understood your exchange with Steve correctly , are you using DNAI on images like this ??

besides my critical points , a very nice capture !!!

tfs Andreas
    Hi Andreas....Thanks for that.....I am using the original Topaz DN.....Not the full package....

Will