Thread: Gull in flight

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gull in flight

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken recently at Shorncliffe in Brisbane. I quite like the in flight pose here. I removed some dark colour (sand) from the top of the image as I found it distracting.

D500/500PF, 1/3200th sec@f7.1, iso800, hh. Some may find the crop a little tight, but I'm fine with it. Other than that, basic adjustments in ACR and PS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Comment on my pelican image and I will tell you how to improve this beautiful image.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this but I feel the bill and leg colouration/luminosity needs taming, I am not so sure if the upper wing is carrying a blue cast - maybe that is natural? The trailing water droplet is a pleasing inclusion.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul, the pose is great and IQ seems good. But! That blue cast on the wings needs taming. Also the reds seem a bit too much to the orange side.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jonathan and Colin. I fixed the blue cast on the wing, but the colour of the legs is correct and is the same as the raw file...no colour adjustment was made to the legs. Adults have orange/red colouring in the bill and legs.
    Last edited by Paul Burdett; 08-08-2022 at 04:58 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, like Jons image, it's slightly different and I like it, the wing arching over thread is neat.

Overall there is more you can pull out, the blue in the wings personally I'm not fused, but its the legs, they look plastic. With an adjustment brush I would slight tone the exp and get some form back in, it's there but... Do you think a tad less above and more below might help?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, nice image of a gull in flight. Interesting pose that your captured. I agree with others regarding the bill and legs, maybe tone them down a tad. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve and Joe. Yes to the suggestions given.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Paul a very unusual pose you have captured here with this gull , nicely done .
    you have good suggestions from the others , would agree with them .
    surprised that the eye contact , which is missing , is not mentioned by others .... btw I am ok with it .

nice one and tfs Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Love the image, the light, the background, the bird, and especially the pose/wing position. Jon wrote:

I like this but I feel the bill and leg colouration/luminosity needs taming,

He is correct. I though that adding CYAN to the REDs would work but it did not :( There are probably lots of way to tone down the orange legs. BTW, the bill looks fine to me. I went into Color Mixer in ACR, reduced the ORANGE saturation and pulled down the Luminosity. Some improvement. In Selective Color, I added some BLACK to the YELLOWs. It would be best to do the Color Mixer stuff during the raw conversion ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: Maybe Jon or Steve or Andreas could help :)

a

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the info and re-post Artie. The legs do look better. Cheers.