Thread: Green Heron... Feather Care

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Green Heron... Feather Care

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image of a Green Heron preening at Lake Morton in Lakeland, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm PF + Nikon 1.4 III Teleconverter, camera and lens supported by a Oben carbon fiber monopod with a Wimberly MonoGimbal head
    1/2000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 1250 Auto ! WB, image captured at 700mm (1050mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2022 and Topaz Denoise AI
    Cropped from 2x2 to 4x5 for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 08-06-2022 at 06:08 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lots of detail here Joe. Love the preening pose and overall composition. Colours and sharpness look good although I'm seeing some "blurry/muddiness" in the feather detail on the left middle side and also a faint halo around the top of the bird's head.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Lots of detail here Joe. Love the preening pose and overall composition. Colours and sharpness look good although I'm seeing some "blurry/muddiness" in the feather detail on the left middle side and also a faint halo around the top of the bird's head.
    Hi Paul, thank you for viewing and commenting. I see the blurry/muddiness you commented on. I think it must be a depth of field issue, probably should have taken the teleconverter off and then cropped the image. Sometimes putting it one to fill the viewfinder is not the right decision. Thanks again for commenting...
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Joe .... you photographed the preening behavior nicely .
    processing looks good to me , from all aspects .
    agree with Paul about the smudgy areas , to me it is no DOF ISSUE . I would rather think a noise reduction issue .... do not see any need at iso 1250 .

tfs Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, classic pose of a Heron.

I quite like it Joe, but it's not quite grabbing me and I wonder if:

- If you have shot the subject portrait to then go for a 5x4 format and not landscape format
    - If you double processed, reduced the blue in version one, then duplicated the original one with the blue sky and added this as a layer. It may then remove the blue fringing and the blue doesn't tarnish the main colours of the subject, especially the darks.
    - Get a bit more separation between bill and plumage

Joe, I have no idea on colours and could be totally wrong. DoF is what it is and nothing you can do, but minor manipulations to bolster the file/image may help, or indeed you feel that as presented is fine, just making some suggestions.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    hi Joe .... you photographed the preening behavior nicely .
    processing looks good to me , from all aspects .
    agree with Paul about the smudgy areas , to me it is no DOF ISSUE . I would rather think a noise reduction issue .... do not see any need at iso 1250 .

tfs Andreas
    Hi Andreas, thank you for viewing and commenting. I still think DOF issue. I checked how much depth of field I had at that distance it was 8 cm (3.15 inches), that is 4cm (1.57 inches either side of the eye which I focused on. Hoping your shoulder is improving and healing...
    Joe Przybyla

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, classic pose of a Heron.

I quite like it Joe, but it's not quite grabbing me and I wonder if:

- If you have shot the subject portrait to then go for a 5x4 format and not landscape format
    - If you double processed, reduced the blue in version one, then duplicated the original one with the blue sky and added this as a layer. It may then remove the blue fringing and the blue doesn't tarnish the main colours of the subject, especially the darks.
    - Get a bit more separation between bill and plumage

Joe, I have no idea on colours and could be totally wrong. DoF is what it is and nothing you can do, but minor manipulations to bolster the file/image may help, or indeed you feel that as presented is fine, just making some suggestions.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, thank you for viewing and commenting. Nice to have you back, your suggestions are well taken. I did double process the image using the masking in Lightroom. I revisited the master file and processed it again. I changed the crop as you suggested and did not double process the image. Here is a reposte. WDYT?
    Joe Przybyla

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, I was hopping you had shot portrait, but as it's landscape, now the vertical crop doesn't work, revert back to the previous but try 4x3 ration, it's less tight, but you might need to add canvas. You need to DP via PS using layers, you still have the blue fringing. Probably keep to as posted.

Nice to have you back
    Cheers, but back to it end of next week!!!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Andreas, thank you for viewing and commenting. I still think DOF issue. I checked how much depth of field I had at that distance it was 8 cm (3.15 inches), that is 4cm (1.57 inches either side of the eye which I focused on. Hoping your shoulder is improving and healing...
    thanx Joe my shoulder is very slowly improving still working one handed .
    I leave the dof view to you , as we think just so different when it comes to processing . and honestly without seeing the raw it is just guess work ....
    thanx for coming back with a comment
    cheers Andreas