Thread: Leopard

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Leopard

Attached Images Attached Images

hi folks I keep going with my high iso edits ... this gorgeous Leopard was my first and best ( at that time ) closeup sighting . a relaxed Leopard lying on his look out in the Khwai concession of Botswana back in 2018.
    best thing is ... I spotted him and nobody else around . Anette and me had him on our own until he walked off into the high grass and we lost track of him .
    gorgeous excitement at that time .... for me .
    as they are a bit more special ... due to being more elusive .

shot was taken very early in the morning still dark and the sun just peeped through a thin cloud cover , so I kept things more dull and muted .... and tried to keep the pinkish/ blueish morning colors . wonder if you like the color grading ? one can even see the tiny sun in both eyes

canon eos 1dx
    ef 200 - 400 is l at 560 mm
    beanbag

f 5,6 , iso 12800, 1/1600 sec , man exp

processed with capture one and pscc 2022, slight crop

thanks for watching and commenting to my previous postings

cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a wonderful image, f 5.6 was perfect. The color grading is awesome but I think the leopard has a slight magenta cast

Jack

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks Jack .... I kept the magenta cast across the whole image on purpose . I could have easily removed it , neutralized the image or just the leopard but I thought it does look quite nice .

cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, you will know if this was similar to the scene, I don't so I can only offer a personal opinion regarding the colours. I know you quite intentionally posted these colours so if you think they are what you want that is fine. The leopard detail are just sublime, but I am sorry to say the pink aspect is a little too noticeable for me. If you feel inclined I would be very happy to see another version.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks Jon ... much appreciated .
    fully understand your reservation ... but as you say , this was my view at the time of shooting and my memory and for sure I want the pinkish cast to be noticeable !!!!
    I showed this version to my travel companion Anette , she said the only thing that she might change is the brightness of the pinkish cast . but she would not change the " cast" or color grading . funny enough she is having almost the same color grading in one of her images from that scene on her website and did not exchange thoughts till this morning . and she used Fuji at that time .

but please Jon post your color vision of this one , I do not have any other vision to be honest apart from brightening the magentas from mid tones to highlights .

cheers Jon

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely shot in habitat - partially hidden the way I assume one usually sees them, if at all. A special sighting for you I'm sure. Detail is exquisite for that high ISO. Magenta tone is a bit of a distraction for me but that is the way you saw it in the early dawn light.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks Bill for your kind comment , much appreciated .

regarding the detail ... well that's how it should be . one needs a gentle hand on processing and sharp original image easy job .

regarding color , correct that's how I saw the light .... asking back would you remove a golden light cast from your images ???? I bet no .....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Im with you Andreas - the colours are perfect (for the conditions your describe) imho. The image is more than perfect !!! Such a magnificent animal so beautifully portrayed. I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanx brother in ´color mind ´.... glad you like my color grading . and you like the rest as well ... great .
    thank you for the kind wording !!!

cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Boetie Andreas,

A very special scene indeed and I certainly appreciate the quality of this file as well as sharpness in terms of the subject. Framing is great and I like the way the subject stands out among the vegetation.

I quite like that you have managed to portray the mood as it was, or rather, as perceived at the time. There are so many possibilities here, the frame lends itself to various interpretations. You can even go Black and White, there is a fairly wide dynamic range that allows you to do so. Or you can warm it up. Anything is possible.

Really like to see you moving away from the conventional...I did a quick RP on my laptop and although a warmer version also looked nice, the 'early morning' mood was lost, so perhaps a more 'common' interpretation

Have a wonderful rest of the week, and thank you so much for sharing with us this wonderful sighting.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanx my ´little sister ´ for rp and comment , much appreciated .
    you are correct one can interpret an image differently specially on the color front . and your version looks nice ... showing the scene in warm colors and tones . and it might work for you , would work for me if I was not the artist , but I am the creator and the photographer who was there . it would be the same if I would turn your shot taken in lovely warm light , turning it into a cool scene ... with ease , what would you think ???
    btw i am not moving away from conventional , imho , just kept the original colors ( from my memory ) . and you know this kind of light ...
    regardless of our different thoughts , just love the exchange about this better than the usual commenting stuff .

thanks so much Gabriela !!!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Boetie Andreas,

I think you somehow misunderstood me, but perhaps I wasn't quite clear. What I meant was, a warmer version might be pretty but that early morning mood is somewhat lost. I only shared my version because it helped to compare, and thought the others would appreciate the conversation that would follow

And to reply to your question above, I would not mind you - or any of the members - posting a different interpretation of my images. Be it cooler or warmer or a B/W conversion...In fact I would love it. I often invite the members to RP if they like, in my intro.

Anyway, that's all from me for now, wishing you a happy evening Boetie and a great rest of the week,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hey Gabriela ... thanks for the info and explanation , I am fully alright either way .....
    wish you a great rest of the week , as well .
    hope you find time to edit and post , I am feeling a bit lost in the wide world of wildlife forum

cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    hey Gabriela ... thanks for the info and explanation , I am fully alright either way .....
    wish you a great rest of the week , as well .
    hope you find time to edit and post , I am feeling a bit lost in the wide world of wildlife forum

cheers Andreas
    I know, thank you Boetie. You know I always have good intentions and would like to remain "Mrs. Nice" in your thoughts

Will try edit some images and post, this week is rather 'heavy' at work and I come home late and tired...but nevertheless I will make the effort. I love it here in the Forum

Have a good night Boetie,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela ... I know most of us can't move out of their skin /habits , well most of the time . you will be always ´ms nice´.... for me , but no need to be it in my threads you can give me a hard time if is necessary when it comes to critique . I know how to defend my work , when I think it is necessary

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll do my best Boetie
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both options work for me - Gabrielas is a more 'regular' version, but the OP is what I have in my minds eye given the time the shot was taken.

I really like the low down eye level perspective and the relaxed look. Environmental interest almost always adds to a shot in my opinion, nice work

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanx a big bunch ...Mike