Thread: European bison at ISO 51200

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default European bison at ISO 51200

Attached Images Attached Images

hi folks .... due to much of time at the moment Sam experimenting a lot , with new software and new workflow when it comes to HIGH ISO IMAGES .
    i have never been afraid pushing the iso values to rather create a sharp base image instead of having a lower noise free but blurry . software is becoming better and better to make that job easier .
    but it will be still a compromise ..... and I do prefer for sure a low iso value when shooting my subjects .
    my ´new ´workflow is for sure rather ´complex ´and not for the folks who just want to have a quick solution .
    without diving to deep into the details , I use three different software .... for now I keep one under the hood , as I think I can still refine the whole process .
    can tell ..... that I use a very very flat file to start the process and no automated tone curve and/ color profile is used in C1.
    I picked this rather old file back from 2017 to showcase the first image that goes public .
    image in kraansvlak in the Netherlands .

wonder what you folks think , the image might have it flaws in terms of too many subjects on the sides , but that's what it's not about .

canon eon 1dx ii
    ef 500 is l ii
    hh

f 8 , ISO 15200 , 1/ 3200 sec , a bit of an overkill with the SS for this static subjects .

processed with C1 and pscc 2022 , full frame

thanks for watching and hopefully leaving a comment

cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

here is the starting image how it does open in C1...
    basically the captured raw file with no profile attached , C1 is set to PROPHOTO RGB as working space
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 07-26-2022 at 12:52 AM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas,

Very pleased that you are sharing this image with us, it just shows that higher ISO values do not necessarily equal poor IQ or a lot of noise when it comes to the final product - folks need to see

Really like the sharpness and amount of detail you achieved through post processing. Colour and tonality as good as it gets and the background is quite smooth - so I have nothing to complain about

I recently took some images at 10.000 ISO and they did not look too bad either. My PP as you know is not very sophisticated but I'll be happy to share at some stage, if only for interest' sake.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

PS Please clarify Boetie, is it ISO 51.200 as per your title, or ISO 15200 as per your exif?
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am guessing you are starting with a linear profile and removing noise at the earliest stage , the carrying out processing and maybe possibly after processing applying more NR with a mask. Whatever it is working very well indeed, impressive results.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    PS Please clarify Boetie, is it ISO 51.200 as per your title, or ISO 15200 as per your exif?
    LOL .... number typo , as there is no iso value of 15200 in the canon camera . so the correct value is in the title ISO 51200 !!!!
    for something low like 16000 I would not make such a terror

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I am guessing you are starting with a linear profile and removing noise at the earliest stage , the carrying out processing and maybe possibly after processing applying more NR with a mask. Whatever it is working very well indeed, impressive results.
    only 1 time noise reduction ... as you can see , the entry image is quite flat

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    LOL .... number typo , as there is no iso value of 15200 in the canon camera . so the correct value is in the title ISO 51200 !!!!
    for something low like 16000 I would not make such a terror
    Thank you Andreas, just making sure
    Gabriela Plesea