Thread: Marbled Godwit

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Marbled Godwit

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Ft. DeSoto County Park in Pinellas County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm PF, camera and lens supported by a Oben carbon fiber monopod with a Wimberly MonoGimbal head
    1/500 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +2 ISO 3200 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2022 and Topaz Denoise AI
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 07-23-2022 at 02:40 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Joe ... nice sweet and soft light .
    comp and pose does work well , as does the overall coloration .
    again I do wish to see the same IQ as within the meadowlark image .

tfs Andreas

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    hi Joe ... nice sweet and soft light .
    comp and pose does work well , as does the overall coloration .
    again I do wish to see the same IQ as within the meadowlark image .

tfs Andreas
    Hi Andreas, thank you for commenting and viewing. Not sure what you would change regarding the IQ? Could you explain further...
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, I like the stance and the casts in the sand.
    Perhaps it is the time of day but there seems to be a pink/lilac aura about the image.
    Somehow it is not sitting quite right to me, perhaps the image is a little over exposed?
    Could be of course I am missing the point entirely and you wished to present a fairly high key image?
    I will be interested to see your reply.

6. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Hi Joe, I like the stance and the casts in the sand.
    Perhaps it is the time of day but there seems to be a pink/lilac aura about the image.
    Somehow it is not sitting quite right to me, perhaps the image is a little over exposed?
    Could be of course I am missing the point entirely and you wished to present a fairly high key image?
    I will be interested to see your reply.
    Hi Jon, thank you for viewing and commenting. The image was captured early morning shortly after sunrise, this beach is in bright shade because the sun has not risen above the trees bordering the beach. I didn't intend for the image to be high key. Maybe the +2 exposure bias to over come dark early morning light has caused what you are seeing that doesn't look right. This repost is a new workup of the image, wondering if it looks better....
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 07-23-2022 at 07:15 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Andreas, thank you for commenting and viewing. Not sure what you would change regarding the IQ? Could you explain further...
    hi joe , as said for me the image and the pelican as well are not having the same IQ as the meadowlark image , that you posted some days ago . the lark is beautiful rendered in color / tone and fine details with pleasing artifact free sharpness .... whereas the other are not showing these elements I mentioned . they do look crunchy in parts and showing signs of nr ( I know you might see that different , but this is my opinion !!!!)... colors looking also not as good as the lark , but this a more subjective thing .
    you replied to Jon that the image here was 2 stops under , well so I am not wondering that the iq is degrading ..... as you will end up with a " lovely" noisy image and you please the image with AI . why don't you shoot ETTR ....less noise to deal with . or why don't you keep the initial light and the image dark in your edit .
    i am really hoping that you see the difference in quality of your own images , if not .... well than I can't help .

cheers Andreas

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colours on the OP are pretty much how these birds are in my memory from DeSoto mornings. I like the extra environment interest in the sand

Mike

11. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image looks properly exposed to me. The godwit looks as it should IMO, and from experience Desoto has very pale sand so it too looks like it should. Having said this, I do find the subject a touch high ion the frame, and looking a bit oversharpened. I do like the rippled beach and great look at the feet as it is out of the water. Boy do I missed that place!

13. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla