Thread: Misty morning backlit loon

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Misty morning backlit loon

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken in Northern Michigan earlier this month. So misty when I put the boat in the water I could barely see to navigate, but I know this lake well, and found one of the adults quickly. They were cruising through the mist, and as the sun started to burn through the mist, it provided some isolated backlighting of the loon.

Z9. 600VR. f/5.6 1/800s ISO 3200. Pedestal mounted on the bottom of my loon boat

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a fantastic portrait, Randy. This bird is a nightmare exposure, and I don't you could have done better than this. Low angle and bow wave are awesome, and the water drops on the head are the icing on the cake. The tiny bit of white on the bird's right hand side (our left) might be a bit hot, but otherwise everything looks good!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Randy .... agree with Dorian a nightmare on the exposure front and you did quite well .
    framing is nice and the head turn is cool , as ist the bow .
    to me the wb is slightly off and all the dark tones are a bit flat , imho . looks like shadow lifting on steroids ... resulting in that flat look .

tfs Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys, appreciate your opinion and input. I agree that the color balance has a bit of a red hue. The original did not.
    I did lift the shadows to try and show more detail , but in retrospect lost too much contrast, giving it the slightly flat look.
    I broke my own rule of always revisiting an image a day later before posting, to be sure I haven't fallen down a processing rabbit hole. Learned that one long ago.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic details, and the backlighting works well. The bow wave is spectacular. Small tweaks suggested would help, but loving it a lot!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, these Loons images is one of the reason I frequent this side every summer.
    You do justice to this iconic bird, beautifully done.

Ramon

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Daniel and Ramon. The loons keep me coming back for more. Such big personalities ( plus they are sharp dressers too!)
    MY BPN ALBUMS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy, love the image. The closeup view is wonderful, lighting adds drama, bow wake really shown nicely. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com