Thread: Brown hare (Lepus europaeus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown hare (Lepus europaeus)

Attached Images Attached Images

I manages to creep up on this hare, they are difficult to spot at this time of the year due to the height of the crops. It was early morning in shaded area, this is hand held, I took quite a few images gradually reducing my shutter speed down to 1/40 sec. The surrounding corn was constantly blowing and I have made alternative images where I have cleaned up some of the leaves but I left this one knowing how eagle eyed you all are!

OM Systems : OM-1
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 1202.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO : 1600
    Exposure compensation : +0.3 EV
    Shutter : 1/80 sec
    Aperture : F8

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Jon .... very good fieldcraft to get that close to this species , well done .
    corn field is giving a nice surrounding with all the vivid greens/yellows .
    framing looks good as does the comp . posing ... well hare typical , wish the guy was not facing away . overall tones looking good as does the colors ... apart from the blueish soil .
    image does appear not pin sharp on the head ... looks sharper in the butt area .

canīt follow your techs selection , why f8 and why only iso 1600 when looking at the ss ???

tfs A

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

We haven't seen a hare in this Forum for a long time so I am glad you managed to 'creep up' on this little chap

I do like the corn in this image because it shows the subject's environment. And the hare stands out quite nicely and is well placed within the frame. Colour wise I cannot really tell, have not seen enough of these chaps to give an opinion...so let us see what the other members say...but the plants look good to me

1/80s I think not quite enough, would have liked more detail / sharpness on the hare but do realise you had to compromise - is there a reason why you did not push the ISO, and what are the capabilities of your new camera?

Hope you managed more images of this little guy before he disappeared among the vegetation thank you so much for sharing,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas Gabriela I kind of expected your reply, I will post similar and see if you see much difference.

5. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post