Thread: Atlantic Puffin from Newfoundland

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Atlantic Puffin from Newfoundland

Can't go wrong with these adorable birds! Background is storm clouds which passed over the cliffs 15 minutes before capture.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II on EOS R5
    1/3200 at f/7.1, ISO 1250
    Processed in LR CC and Topaz. Cloned a distracting dandelion which cut across the rock. It was behind the bird. Also added the catchlight.

More to come before I head to South Africa and Namibia on Saturday.

Name:  atlantic puffin walking 070322.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  592.8 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian:

They are certainly one of the cutest looking of birds with their comical face, amazing bill and big orange feet.
    I like the marching pose with lifted foot, the lichen covered rock. The slight incline and raised foot really gives the impression of climbing .
    Well exposed. Might try to tease a bit more detail out of the upper breast near the black collar if possible.

Safe travels!

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian, I like the image, Puffins are always fun. I like the lichen covered rock. the bird and the background. In this instance I guess I would prefer the raised foot to be planted on the rock. I think you can tease more detail from the blacks and whites, the new masking tools is Lightroom work well for that. Thank you for sharing,
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You could never go wrong with a picture of a Puffin.
    I like it as presented, I do see what Randy and Joe is saying about getting more details on the white.

TFS
    Ramon

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ditto the positives here Dorian. I am seeing a thin white halo around the back of the bird. If mine I would crop the bottom more, to where the oof section meets the in focus section, as my eye is drawn to it. Would love to be able to see one of these birds one day.
    Last edited by Paul Burdett; 07-14-2022 at 10:52 PM.