Thread: One-eyed Jack

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default One-eyed Jack

Attached Images Attached Images

A battle-scarred male lion from Masai Mara.
    5D IV
    100-400 II @ 300mm
    1/1600
    f/5
    ISO 3200

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Sanjeev,

My heart bleeds to see a male lion in such poor condition... Judging by his sunken back and ribs showing, he has been struggling to stay alive. Not to mention the eye injury. He might have had something to eat every now and then but competition is rife in the Mara and so many other, healthier males around.

A couple of things regarding the image itself, framing is correct IMO, colours about right. Not much detail in the blacks though (eyes, nose, mouth) and the subject's mane appears crunchy possibly due to over-sharpening. I would only sharpen the face and allow for some fuzz/softness in the mane for a more natural look. Looking at the techs I guess the subject was not that far and at F5 perhaps not enough DoF to include the mane.

Hope this battle scarred warrior recovered somehow, I'd like to think he has - or had - a brother to look out for him and help with the hunting. This sighting must have made a strong impression on you, Sanjeev. It certainly did on me, thank you so much for sharing.

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 07-13-2022 at 02:04 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

He certainly looks as though he has had a good beating up poor old guy. A really powerful image, it grabs my attention fully. I sense there is a lot of red in the image - maybe the time of day? the edges of his mane look rather red/orange as do some of the grasses in the immediate foreground. Having said that I think this is a most memorable image - well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Sanjeev , certainly a frame that is telling a story , albeit a sad one for the king . well no longer a king .... his time seems to be over .
    sadly I have to say , imho, that the iq has suffered . sharpening does look a bit off to me and the dark tones are quite dense with low definition . and the crop or comp is not ideal for my taste , as I think the lion should be in the right half while facing slightly to the left .

tfs A

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What an incredibly powerful and emotional image. For me wildlife photography should grab hold of the viewers attention and cause them to think or contemplate or be amazed and feel awe etc. This does exactly that in bucket loads. I do agree with Andries about the comp