Thread: Skinned to the bone!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Skinned to the bone!

Attached Images Attached Images

A hyena feasts on the leg of a wildebeest in Mara as a mute spectator, a vulture, waits his turn. Hope the OOF vulture is not too distracting!
    Andreas's wild dogs and my Hyena seem to like legs
    1DX II
    500mm II
    1/1250
    f/6.3
    ISO 6400

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like an exciting sighting Sanjeev, were there more hyenas and vultures hovering around?

I do not find the vulture overly distracting and IMO it provides a bit of 'context' to the scene. I am sure you composed as well as you could under the circumstances, techs look good, and I suppose if you were able to move to the left the vulture would disappear, but usually when there's lots of action one stays put and hopes for the best, right?

All I would do here is to lift the blacks on the hyena's face (especially nose and eyes), otherwise colours look good and consistent with the lighting - this was probably taken either at late afternoon or very early morning, light is sweet and soft and coming in from the LHS... therefore the shadow on the face of the subject.

A few 'cosmetic' touches, I would eliminate a few grasses, cannot think of anything else at the moment so let us see what the others say?

Many thanks for sharing, looking for an image with a 'leg' but cannot find it, I know I have one from the last trip to Kruger but so many hard drives lying around and not enough time to look through all of them!

Have a lovely evening Sanjeev,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Gabriela the background vulture is a part of the scene, I like as presented but I agree the blacks are a little featureless here and there.
    I appreciate the light would have produced saturated colours so I am probably wrong but I feel there is a little too much red/orange in the hyena and the muscle tissue on the bone looks rather bright red.

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank Gabriela and Jon. I will reduce the saturation a bit Jon.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Sanjeev .... another animal with a leg fetish . I like it .
    i do not mind the vulture in the bg , part of the story . colors , details and sharpness are looking good to me .... specially the reds and oranges are looking good having the light in mind . just the blacks are a bit heavy for my taste .
    nicely done .

tfs A

8. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post