Thread: Take Seven

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Take Seven

Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure whether carrying seven terrapins on one's back brings any health benefits for the hippo...but it doesn't seem to hurt either This chap seemed happy to have some company. And tried his best to help his little companions bask in the morning sun in order to regulate their body temperature

Image was taken in the Kruger Park in May this year. A huge crop because I found the vegetation at the top a bit distracting. So not entirely happy with the frame from the technical POV but I just wanted to share, trying to bring some variety and keep you folks entertained

You are welcome to critique and RP if you like, you know I do not mind. Grateful for your time to view and all those lovely comments on my previous images

Techs:

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300 mm F2.8
    ISO 1000
    F8
    Metering mode: pattern
    0EV
    1/800s

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super image, just love the terrapins and his eye. Quite honestly I would not have known it was a massive crop.
    I have made a minor adjustment to the amount of red, maybe I am wrong.... but it looks a bit too red to me??

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Jon! RP looks good. These chaps have a more pronounced colour in those pink areas in the winter when they spend more time in the sun. But maybe you are right and it's too bright in the OP. In all honesty I cannot remember how it was, perhaps my version is a bit over the top. You are so kind to take the time and RP, really appreciate it. Thank you again
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela,
    This is such a fun image! Love those 7 piggy-backing on the Hippo who seems oblivious of them. Nicely composed. The Hippo looking at your camera is cool.
    T F S.
    Cheers

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- In my opinion this deserves a award for the content. An absolutely delightful sight. Loved it.

technically it is a very sound image as well. Nice tones and framing and colours in your OP are fine to me overall and on hippo as well.

A fantastic image, worthy of recognition.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Aaaargh so pleased you like it, I thought it was funny too, as well as interesting. Thank you so much for your kind comments, Sanjeev and Haseeb
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ... very cool and unique image !!!
    as presented I think it needs more of an artistic approach due to the kinda boring fore/background .... I have too much time at the moment , lol .
    so I had a quick go and added a radial gradient and a fake beam of light from ulc to the lrc .
    so might not meet your taste ... I think it does give the image a different look&feel

cheers A

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas,

This is pretty cool, I would have not thought about it ! Thank you, I like it This is where the light was coming from, so your idea makes sense.

Feels like BPN in the olden days, I love it when everyone gets involved with suggestions and RP's etc.

Let's have another squirrel please

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thx Gabriela glad you like it , luckily Steve is offline .... as he might have ripped it apart

next one will be a fat squirrel from the mountains , is already digging close to surface

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The Master would only 'rip it apart' if it's bad. If it's good he will be full of praise. Don't think I'd still be around if it wasn't for him, he is my inspiration and motivation

Fat squirrel sounds great, cannot wait. Let us see it Thirsty for new posts, we have load shedding at the moment but generator is on...in twenty minutes it will be dark again, oh well...life in Africa
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, really like the image, so unique. So tolerant of the hippo. Very good seeing the image possibility and capturing it. Post processing looks good to me, thank you for sharing,
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much, Joe - it was fun to discover that the little critters were actually not sitting on a rock...which is what it looked like before the hippo raised its head out of the water

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea