Thread: Bold. Arrogant. Powerful.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bold. Arrogant. Powerful.

Attached Images Attached Images

Bold, arrogant and powerful. Researchers say the Chacma baboon male often commits infanticide, killing the babies of rivals. The female baboon will try to get around this by being as promiscuous as possible, in order to confuse the paternal identity – so the male finds it harder to tell if he is killing a rival’s offspring or his own . She will also try to form a bond with certain males in the hope that they might protect their offspring and let the babies forage in good places with them – although males tend to be fairly lazy when it comes to this... it’s up to the babies to follow the males to good food.

Here's one such male, he was quite intimidating and the members of the troup seemed to avoid him. And while some females did came up to groom him, babies kept their distance.

Techs:

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 2500
    F9
    2/3 EV
    1/1000s

I promised you more lions and leopards but I feel I must share something different in-between. Really appreciate you taking the time to view and your comments, be it of a technical nature or otherwise.

Warmest regards,

Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 07-02-2022 at 02:13 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking at this creature your title for the image appears to fit well. Nice rendering, I feel like I could reach out and touch the fur. Wonderful pure background, complimenting colors. Thank you for sharing, Gabriela.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Jo, he was one very interesting subject to photograph indeed

I really appreciate your time to view and comment,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I would also add regal and indignant! He does look so vey self assured and calm yet at a moment's notice I can visualise those long fangs! Processing and colours look good, an image that holds my attention.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you so much Jon! Oh but the old chap was very regal and also indignant, just as you described him.

And here's a funny story... there was a scrawny little fellow playing and running around at the time I took this image and every now and then I saw him ran to his mother. He was quite mischievous and got in trouble with some of the larger folks but they did not hurt him so he carried on jumping into trees and hanging from branches, like all baboon kids do. At some point he let go of a branch and landed very close to this big male in the photograph...All the big male did was turn his head and look at him... You should have heard the little one scream! He screamed loud as if a leopard got hold of him. Then ran to his mother and was hanging on to her tightly while other females came to check what was going on... they lifted his legs and arms to look for injuries and even looked into his ears. It was quite funny because no one quite understood what was going on. I was the only one who actually saw the brief 'encounter' as I was following the youngster with the camera to see if I could grab a shot. Let me show you what the naughty one looked like, image not worth processing for reasons you will notice but at least you get the idea
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As you say Gabriela this one tells a story. Ok there are "faults" as we might say but I would go so far to say it is a worthwhile shot showing behavioural action (if it was mine I would process it!!)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, there's another baboon between the log and the tree, and the vegetation in the lower left corner spoils it for me. I think I have better ones, must just find the time to process. During the week I am away from home for about thirteen hours a day so very difficult, Saturdays I am also working so basically all I got left is Sundays

I manage though. Going to take a drive around the house this afternoon to see if I can find something to photograph, the aloes are flowering and lots of sunbirds around, maybe I get lucky
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Jon, there's another baboon between the log and the tree, and the vegetation in the lower left corner spoils it for me. I think I have better ones, must just find the time to process. During the week I am away from home for about thirteen hours a day so very difficult, Saturdays I am also working so basically all I got left is Sundays

I manage though. Going to take a drive around the house this afternoon to see if I can find something to photograph, the aloes are flowering and lots of sunbirds around, maybe I get lucky
    ....and maybe get some close ups????

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Gabriela ... cool image of a cool character as it seems . I might give those eyes a bit of shine and sparkle
    forgive me that I am very short typing ....

tfs Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas my one handed Boetie, I shall post one with sparkling eyes during the week

Jon, I was spoilt to a game drive instead...and got some images of Buffalo at high ISO Pretty cool to just be among them, they are very inquisitive and came quite close.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, he does seem quite proud and bold! Some character he must be! Nice details and pose. Well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic portrait image Gabriela , I am a sucker for such images. Loved it. Excellent IQ.

Nice choice on DOF, and the expression just makes it for me.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks to you both, Sanjeev and Haseeb ! Glad you liked this, more to come...I shall "bore you with Baboons" LOL
    Gabriela Plesea