Thread: Foot assisted take off - common loon

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Foot assisted take off - common loon

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken a a couple of weeks ago. This adult common loon was taking off past me, and I thought this image showed the effort it takes for them to get airborne. With the highest wing loading of any flying bird, they have to really work to take off. This includes helping build speed with their giant feet as they patter across the water until they achieve lift off. It was a heavily overcast day, resulting in an almost black and white image except for the little pop of crimson in the eyes.

D500, 500 PF, f/5.6,1/2500s, ISO 720
    Post in LRCC and PS2022.

Advice and comments always appreciated . I liked the framing because I feel it shows the takeoff path across the lake well.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action shot focus spot on love the right wing tip just hitting the water surface. I like the appearance of the head and bill - he really looks as though he is putting some effort in.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured Randy.....It does show the effort for them to be airborne....I really like the position of both legs and feet.... It looks good with the splashing behind the bird....I would consider moving the bird more right in the frame, which would still show the splashing water...As Jon said, the wing tip hitting the water looks real good...

Will