Thread: A Leopard's Point of View

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Leopard's Point of View

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

This image was captured in Kruger National Park last month. Unfortunately we had very little time with this leopard, it was late and we had to rush back to camp.

A very special sighting though and my companion and I were glad to at least manage a few frames, we were hoping to see the subject descend but it didn't happen.

Techs as follows:

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm F2.8
    ISO 3200
    F4.5
    1/1600s
    +1/3 EV

Processed in LR Classic and Photoshop 2022. Hope you like it, and I look forward to your comments and suggestions as always. Thank you so much for taking the time to view, appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is one of the shots I would dream about before I went to Africa, I could visualise a leopard in a tree...... pure magic Gabriela. Super colours and tones - perhaps a little magenta in the tree - probably due to evening light? Couldn't have asked for a better stare from the leopard. Super image!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ... what a lovely composition , the tree about being perfect for a Leopard shot
    Looks like you have used a gradient ???
    Looking at the image I do see a version with the whole tree darker , as well as the LRC

The neck area does look a bit " strange " in terms of markings ... almost like that he is wearing a collar ???!!

Very nice overall with some potential for a different view in terms of tones ... but only minor nits .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon and Andreas,

And thank you both for your comments and critique, much appreciated.

To answer your questions, no gradient was used, in fact very little PP, maybe too little :) Forgot to say I removed a tiny twig coming down from one of the branches. And not sure I touched the tree at all, will have a look at the file. Maybe it needs a bit of TLC.

Yes it was afternoon Jon, and beginning of winter so getting dark early, fortunately I only had to up the ISO a little. I must check some settings on the D4, just looked at some images and they all look a bit on the yellow side, not normally the case but this old body went to Nikon for a clean so you never know...

Saw the 'collar' too Andreas, well spotted. I would call it a 'necklace". It is natural though, a skin fold...and some interesting patterns

Shall take another look at this image over the week-end and address issues you both mentioned - thank you so much once again!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela i was just wondering why tree bark is darker on the very top , compared to the bark in the lower part ??
    A natural collar ... ... looks funny without the typical black markings

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, I think it is some sort of tree lichen. I can see it in the other images too. Probably grows where there is more shade and moisture, as the lower part of three gets more sun. The park had lots of rain before we got there and also during our stay, so that explains the conditions/humidity. Never seen so much greenery in Kruger in May, felt like summer.

Re. collar: no two leopards look the same, some have a more pronounced collar and others less. What you are seeing is actually a fold on the neck...this leopard eats well and is in great condition:)
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- Indeed a sight to behold. Such a fantastic animal. Leopard on tree is always special and a typical African scene. Loved it.

The neck area seems strange and but after seeing the image in the light of your above comment things are sorted. I liked the processing work as well .

Enjoyed viewing this image, TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you so much Haseeb,

Here is a quick edit on an image where you can see the 'necklace' better This might look slightly different from the original post in terms of colour as the light was fading. I am only sharing it because of your interest in the patterns on the neck. Frame was a little underexposed.
    Same camera and lens, ISO 3200, EV +1/3, F5.6 1/800s.

Have a wonderful evening,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 06-21-2022 at 01:01 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Way better on all counts .... compared to the OP

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas!
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Why didn't you choose this one ... I personally love this one !!!!!!!!!!
    And the collar looks lovely

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Err...was saving it for later
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, this is a fine shot of the leopard! Loved both of the images! The tree is 'perfect' and the leopard did pose well for you! Classic stuff! Well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev! Welcome back! We have missed you Buddy, glad to hear from you. I guess we all had a difficult time with Covid and it hasn't been easy to get out and about for the past two years or so, but things are improving and soon we'll be back to normal - have you any travel plans for the near future?

Thank you for comments and just taking the time to view, means a lot to me. And glad you liked the images, I only had two leopard sightings while in Kruger and perhaps not the best, but happy to come home with something new, albeit not much to work on.

Hope to see some images from you, if no new stuff then please look through some older folders. The Forum has been rather quiet and we need to revive it. I really miss the old times

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, really like your images of the leopard in the tree. I saw the other/others and intended to comment but as it has been said "the best laid plans of mice and men go awry". Anyways, I think the small in the frame and the structure of the tree adds much to the image, a tighter image would not have as much impact. Your image shows the leopard in it's habitat, as it lives. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jo,

Hope all is well on your side? So kind of you to view and add your thoughts, thank you so much!

I am trying my best , been absent for a while here on BPN due to work commitments and so missed the interaction, the thrill of sharing and waiting for feedback. A bit rusty when it comes to PP work...but it's fun and exciting to process images again.

Shall go back to Kruger Park in September and maybe I'll be lucky to have more leopard sightings. This was very special... albeit too brief...had to be back at the camp before sunset...

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Queen G, Both are lovely but I am with Andreas in loving the second one. In the OP, the part of the tree above the animal's back is very distracting.

A technical question: you stopped down from f/2.8 in both images. Why???

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sir Arthur,

I entirely agree with your observations

Regarding F-stop, I shot at various values, from 2.8 to 7.1 - always do when my subject is far, just in case. Especially when unsure what effect I want to achieve. Just happened to like the pose here so processed those images first. More to come

Thank you once again for gracing us with your presence here in the Wildlife Forum. Means a lot to me

Warmest regards,

Queen G
    Gabriela Plesea