Thread: European Field Hamster

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default European Field Hamster

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks I think this is the first time that this species is posted here

Image taken in one of Vienna's cemetery's .... yes you read correct .... I spend almost two days in this cemetery , well at least the morning and late afternoon. As the cemetery has only certain gate hours .
    Then you can move around and hope to find these little critters ... albeit being somehow used to human ... they are still skittish on one hand and handy on the other side . Moving will just spook them off ... sitting still they could possibly run around you .
    The problem is one needs to find a spot with low grass , otherwise you will not see them or at least only their backs . Going low is tricky as most of the time , you have grass stems in their face while taking photographs .
    For me the first to shoot them , next time I will try different shooting and baiting technique ... as all images are taken without any bait . Should have tried that with hindsight ... funny enough they destroyed a side pocket of my photo backpack , as there was an apple inside it . The bag was standing on the ground next to my MTB and I was walking on the cemetery in another corner and not realizing that disaster !!!
    Once I got back I saw from a distance the apple lying in the grass and a Hamster right next to my bag .... well well , I was yelling at him !!! Moved into his hole ... I think I heard im giggling inside .

So here you go ... first Hamster

Canon EOS R3
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
    HH ( all of my hamster images )

F 7,1 ; Iso 5000 ; 1/1600 sec ; man exposure
    Wish I had stopped down for more DOF

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2022 ; slight crop ; the WB could be discussed if it could go a tad warmer , I kept it cool as the subject was in shade of the graves .

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous postings

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, this is super cute and the very first time I see this species here on BPN... so well done in showing me/all of us, something new! Is that a little ant on the hamster's lip?

Love the story behind the image! Framing works, colours and tonality look good to me, well exposed, and yes I agree with you on the need for more DoF but I gather you did not have much time to change settings...these chaps are quick as lightning!!!

Are you back home or still in Vienna? Would like to see some more images of this little critter if you have You need good SS for the twitching nose, LOL. How sweet, really hope you have more from this sighting... if not, please go back to the cemetery and find more hamsters, you made my evening Boetie with this one

Thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela ... back home , and already back to work .
    More to come ... of the Hamsters . I like that you spotted the ant ...

Thanks for the kind words Gabriela

Cheers Andreas

4. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another sweet image Andreas and well worth a return visit. Love that typical 'look up/jaunty head' very hampsterish. Yes there is perhaps more you can still do with the image, but your call.

funny enough they destroyed a side pocket of my photo backpack
    Yes, similar experience leaving a bean bag full of seed in the foot well of the passengers side of a Land cruiser, it resembles a Swiss cheese by morning!

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve ... there is most of the times an option to do more within an image .
    Curious what your version would look like ?? What would be your suggestion in terms of improvement ??

Cheers andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot Andreas, for me the shallow DOF works well, there's no way you would have got everything in focus from that position, colours and details look excellent.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon , glad you like it . For sure not the whole subject in focus but at least the ears would have been better !!!
    Next time I try , if light allows , going f 9 or 10 .
    I will go for sure back with new ideas ... to bait them ... and direct them where to walk .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- This is indeed a pretty cool subject, cute and at the same time appears notorious. Very nice details as always, liked the choice of DOF as well , very nicely done.

TFS !