Thread: Misty morning Indigo Bunting from Nashville, TN

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Misty morning Indigo Bunting from Nashville, TN

Would have preferred more profile, but the moist foliage forced me to keep this frame, my first of this open country species. Perch carries the shot as far as I'm concerned.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS R5
    1/1600 at f/5.6, ISO 1600
    Processed in LR CC and Topaz. Clone out a few poops, the perch apparently a favorite

Name:  DCAP8142-Edit-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  599.5 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian, this beautiful and somewhat rare songbird carries the frame man. What a handsome fella.

I had my first encounter with one last summer and it was quite memorable. They are so small but pack a gorgeous plumage.

The overall composition and colors work very well. Agree with you on the wet leaves. Really nice details shown.

You might consider giving just a little kick in the pants in terms of boosting the tones. Perhaps just a touch muted or flat overeall, but purely subjective.

Thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Dorian, this beautiful and somewhat rare songbird carries the frame man. What a handsome fella.

I had my first encounter with one last summer and it was quite memorable. They are so small but pack a gorgeous plumage.

The overall composition and colors work very well. Agree with you on the wet leaves. Really nice details shown.

You might consider giving just a little kick in the pants in terms of boosting the tones. Perhaps just a touch muted or flat overeall, but purely subjective.

Thanks for sharing.
    Totally hear the comment about the tones looking a bit thin; I thought the same thing when I looked back at the image this morning. Cheers!

Name:  DCAP8142-Edit-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  403.2 KB

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian, love the image, wish I had the opportunity. It is too bad that we all are not using the same displays calibrated the same to view the images posted because on my screen I like your original post better. Raising the blacks a small amount I think improves the image retaining the lovely soft blues of the bird. Thank you for posting, really nice image and opportunity.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image of a lovely bird. I don't mind the muted, misty look of the OP, but both are very nice. They are fairly common in our local open spaces here, although the County's "management" of the grasslands, by prescribed burning and removal of the invasive Autumn Olives has taken away some of their favorite singing perches, so I haven't seen them so frequently in the past few years.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Dorian, While I love the soft light and the foliage in this one and in the Bobolink image, the thing that bugs me about each of them as posted is that the bird is on our right side of the frame looking to our right out of the frame ... If that makes sense. Anyhoo, the repost addresses my concerns.

with love, artie

ps: I did my best with your signature.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another way of saying the same thing is that there is just too much room behind the subject ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Another way of saying the same thing is that there is just too much room behind the subject ...

with love, artie
    It's funny - I'm obsessive about placing the subject off-center in landscape/horizontal crops (and often well off-center to exaggerate the negative space like with my recent Wild Turkey and Dickcissel), but I don't worry about it nearly as much in portrait/vertical crops (Bobolink, Indigo Bunting, Swainson's Warbler). Not sure why that is......

9. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: The bird is off-center, just on the wrong side (for my brain).

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

beautiful image of handsome rare bird, love the BG and the environment. I tend to like Arite's repost with less room. I also like the repost with added contrast

greatjob, a pleasure to view as always

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian .... oh i love the contrast between bird and surroundings !!
    Very well captured , IMHO.
    Personally I would tweak the subject even more .... surprised to see the " flat " appearance in one of your images , as you normally push things harder than I would do .

Stunning image

TFS Andreas