Thread: Lion Love

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lion Love

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

I am extremely privileged to live in one of South Africa's premier game viewing destinations, the Munyawana Conservancy. Because of the nature of my work I cannot always afford the time to drive around and take photographs. Sometimes I get lucky though... last Sunday I had a pair of lions mating close to the house.
    Here is one image of the lioness. The couple mated every ten to fifteen minutes and in-between rested or slowly walked towards the nearby dam. The male roared after each pairing ritual and at times they roared together. Such a special sighting.

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 mm F4
    ISO 4000
    F10
    0 EV
    1/2000s

Thank you kindly for taking the time to view and comment on my previous images, I truly appreciate it.

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 06-08-2022 at 02:24 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh boy, the low POV is awesome I wont ask how and I'm surprised you guys were happy to be so close. Great expression on the lioness she doesn't look happy, no flowers or chorales I guess. is that the males front paw above her leg, assume he's dismounting?

Watch your darks, you clipped the very dark shadows, ideally there should be some 'detail' in those areas, I would also loose any vignette too.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good morning Steve! And thank you so much for feedback:)

Low POV yes, but from the car, in fact I was a bit too close because at first I did not see them, they got up as I was arriving and started mating.
    No vignette as such just a linear gradient, wanted to make the paw /legs of the male less prominent, if too much I will go back and lessen it no problem. The darks easy to fix, will do!
    On my way to work now...back tonight, have a beautiful day!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What an eye catching image, I appreciate your intention to concentrate on the lioness and not the lion but I agree the variation in illumination doesn't look quite right. Great image though - well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Jon,

Busy to fix the issues Steve and you highlighted, and there'll be more lions for you I must just sit down and process them

Have a lovely week-end,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela .... greetings from Vienna
    Am in Austria for a short time out and did some shooting on Rodents ... later more when I am back , with new stuff .

What a great capture and the facial expression is priceless , madame is not amused .... like always , LOL .
    All works for me here , very well processed !!!
    Just the gradient isn't my cuppa ... works mostly great in landscape stuff , IMHO , but less so in our business . Just my take .
    I prefer to work with layer mask and brush the effect in ...

Nice one and TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas!

I never saw any Rodents when I was there, place was clean, spotless Just kidding, cannot wait to see what you bring in terms of photography.

Glad you like this capture, Madame was not amused yet very preoccupied in getting pregnant, so I am counting the months until I see the cubs!

And yes the gradient is too strong I agree, but only saw it after Steve pointed it out to me And the blacks a tad strong too. Never mind I can fix it all, just happy to be back here and at the moment there's no load shedding...

Have a wonderful stay in Austria and bring back lots of marmots, looking forward to see the images

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- Excellent pov, loved the expression, the image is popping out of my screen. Excellent IQ and processing. Very well done.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Haseeb, appreciate your time to view and kind comments.

Have a great rest of the week,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Queen G,

Amazing. I have not seen this species down by the lake near my home ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

She too is a Queen, Sir Arthur

Usually quite relaxed but when mating of course there are other 'elements' at play. Cannot wait to see her with cubs, gestation period for the species is around three months so probably she will give birth in August. She will then hide the little ones for a month or two so in October if I am lucky I will get to see and photograph the little ones

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea