Thread: Field Sparrow

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Field Sparrow

Attached Images Attached Images

From a local grassland, a few days ago.

a1, 200-600mm, ISO 1250, 1/3200s @ f/6.3 manual, HH.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill, cute little fella.

The grub really makes this frame. Enjoy the rich green bkg to offset the neutral subject colors. Perch is simple but the magenta hues far better than dead.

Did you brush the head at all? Possible just a little bleed (light halo effect) onto the green above. Otherwise, could take a swing at maybe a touch more sharpening perhaps.

Nice to see a post from you, hope you are well!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I see some green juices on the throat I suspect these are caterpillar juices?? Is that what you refer to Brian?
    Nice shot Bill, I suspect a mask was used to sharpen the bird, I would possibly consider feathering the edges slightly to give less of a cut out appearance. I appreciate you guys in USA like punchy colours but for me the greens are just a little intense.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent pose. Love the insect. I like Jonathan's feathering suggestion; there is a technical disconnect between the bird and BG as is. I would also move the subject up and left. Upper left corner of frame is really vacuous as presented.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like you are enjoying the new Sony gear! Good stuff above, and I will add that I do find the green BG a touch too "electric" - desaturating it a bit would work IMO. I love the raised crest and resulting feather layers there!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, really nice sparrow with the worm as a bonus. Color and feather detail on the bird and perch look really good. I am with Dan that the green of the background appears too saturated. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for the good suggestions. I did feather the subject; 0.7 px as I recall. Perhaps I might have done more. I made few slight tweaks to the BG: reduced the brightness of the BG; toned down a few brighter areas; and did a minor Gaussian blur to smooth out some lumpy appearance. None of these were large tweaks, but taken together I suppose they were enough to result in the "disconnect" and halo you've noted. The green color is the way it appeared (except for slight reduction in brightness). My instinct told me to desaturate it but I left it as is. I agree I should have gone with my instinct.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill ... nice one , with the worm in the beak it is looking very good and adds interest .
    Basically I am ok with the green , some might think it is too much matter of taste .

Interesting thoughts about masking techniques and blurring the edges .....

TFS Andreas