Model Name : OM-1
    Lens 300mm f4 (601.0mm FF equiv)
    ISO: 800
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/2500 sec
    Aperture : F5

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, I quite like this sir. A very awkward pose presents quite nicely IMO.

I like the calming gray background, which helps the oranges pop. Super head angle and eye contact. Choice of comp works, though it would be fun to see a 16x9 too.

Only suggestion is to look at removing some of the green hues on the underside and shadowy areas.

TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking good Jon...The colours on the bird are spot on....The HA and trailing feet add a lot.....Nice one....My trip to Lunga was cancelled, when I was on Mull a couple of weeks ago.....High winds and heavy rain for the whole week....Did you book the 4 hours on the island....

Will

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Looking good Jon...The colours on the bird are spot on....The HA and trailing feet add a lot.....Nice one....My trip to Lunga was cancelled, when I was on Mull a couple of weeks ago.....High winds and heavy rain for the whole week....Did you book the 4 hours on the island....

Will
    Hi Will, yes we booked and had to rebook due to weather, we also provisionally booked the photographer's trip which allows us to stay until sunset but there weren't enough takers, we offered to pay extra but in view of the windy weather the operator said, "No", .........we were lucky to get on the island at all!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Hi Will, yes we booked and had to rebook due to weather, we also provisionally booked the photographer's trip which allows us to stay until sunset but there weren't enough takers, we offered to pay extra but in view of the windy weather the operator said, "No", .........we were lucky to get on the island at all!
    Typical Scottish weather.....A great island to visit, Puffin City...I was on the island a couple of years ago and loved it....I'm glad you got on the island....Yes sunset would have been fantastic.....

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is outstanding. The action is great and the exposure/detail are so good. I love how the reds and oranges crack in the gray surrounds. Definitely one of your most memorable frames! Bravo!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quite a dynamic pose! It's not often that only seeing one wing while in flight works, but it does here. In Brian's image above you ask "could anyone recall an entirely featureless background when looking at a subject?". I do...right here!. Anyhow, that background does work well. Not to mention a perfect head angle. Good stuff!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks good to me Jon, well done.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jon,

I love the pose, and know where you were headed compositionally. But I would still like to see at least a bit off the bottom.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Quite a dynamic pose! It's not often that only seeing one wing while in flight works, but it does here. In Brian's image above you ask "could anyone recall an entirely featureless background when looking at a subject?". I do...right here!. Anyhow, that background does work well. Not to mention a perfect head angle. Good stuff!
    You are absolutely right Dan I have to agree, but that is how it was not just in camera but to the naked eye, either dull featureless clouds or it began to clear toward occasional blue sky with fluffy clouds.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... I love it , a very comical image with a funny " fly by pose " .
    I can almost feel the wind coming up the cliffs , very well captured .
    Nice processing and the sharpness and fine detail is great !!!

Personally I would remove or reduce the greens in the plumage , albeit being a reflection from the grass underneath .

TFS Andreas