Thread: My First Ever Picture Of A Pike!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default My First Ever Picture Of A Pike!!

Attached Images Attached Images

I had been watching this basically motionless Great Blue Heron doing nothing for a while when it suddenly looked like something had its attention. It quickly lunged into the water...I expected to see something like a small frog, tadpole, or minnow, but to my great surprise it pulled out this large Northern Pike. Oh cool!!! My first ever! It did go easily down the hatch - but it had turned its back on me by that time, but not before having the fish aligned between its mandibles for the inevitable fun ride down the tunnel of doom...

Canon R6 + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1250s., f/5.6, ISO 400, natural light, handheld, small crop for comp (and straighten the horizon), contrast and saturation to taste.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a catch! Lots of similar herons here, but never seen one catching something like this. Lovethe overall composition and processing. Very minor nit pic...the oof reed going through the bird's neck, but I'd be stoked to get this shot.
    Last edited by Paul Burdett; 06-03-2022 at 08:10 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel ... what a cool image and glad you had the luck to capture it .
    The content is just oh so cool !!!

Nicely processed and I do not mind the dead reeds across the front

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dang, that's quite a site. Northerns get huge so this must be a second year class or something.

A very nice presentation with the reeds, well done to manage to get the fish to fit between those stalks coming up ;-)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed....Really liking the contrast...Good POV and the bird stands out amongst the reeds...Good HA on both bird and fish....I once saw a Great Crested Grebe swallow a Pike and I couldn't believe what I saw...

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pike steals the show! I know these guys eat anything, but I wouldn't have thought a crafty predator like a pike would fall prey like this. I can't believe it wouldn't bite/chew its way out once swallowed! Environmental context is nice too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are too, too good. With this and the Sabine's, you should consider buying some lottery tickets (though luck had nothing at all to do with the two great images)>

with love, artie

ps: If possible, send this one too 2400 unsharpened :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just awesome, Daniel. Did the Heron manage to swallow this big fish, it must have taken a while and a bit of struggle

Love everything about this - not just the action but also the environment, POV, colours, and of course PP work too!

A great pleasure to view as always,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea