Thread: Nothing like a Leopard in a Tree

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nothing like a Leopard in a Tree

Attached Images Attached Images

One of the most exciting things when one goes to the Kruger Park is finding a leopard resting on a tree branch. But it's not not always easy to find one, they are elusive creatures and often hide among the foliage where no one can see them. And they blend so well with their surroundings, be it thickets, woodland near rivers, or the scarce vegetation of more arid areas.
    We were lucky to find a leopard one afternoon but because we had to be back at the camp by 5:30 pm only managed a few images - this is one of them. I quite liked the tree so here's the 'wider view' of the scene, something different from my usual 'close-ups'.
    Techs as follows:

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm F2.8
    ISO 3200
    +1/3 EV
    F4.5
    1/2000s

Thank you for viewing and for your kind comments on my previous images, I really appreciate it.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela .... gorgeous looking " small in the frame " image .
    The scene looks peacefully and relaxed ... no wonder with a " sleepy " looking Leopard .
    The tree is looking too good , just perfect .... with the branches going mainly to the sides . Central position is just on the money ...
    For sure an unusual frame of yours .... but I really like it .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you like it, Andreas. It was indeed a peaceful scene and what grabbed me here also - apart from this sleeping beauty of a leopard - was the lush vegetation. I have never seen the Kruger park like this. And the leopard must have had a nice meal, just look at that tummy
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see small in frame and letting the environment have first place. Super image, nicely executed.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Steve, kind words, appreciate your time to view and comment.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree that the balance and comp of this image is wonderful. The tree and its branches work an absolute treat. The pin sharp leopard and his pose enhance the feeling of the image really nicely. You have also handled the difficult lighting really well. Bagging an image like this from Kruger is such an impressive result - so much more so than something similar from a private concession.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot Gabriela, I can distinctly remember the first time I saw a leopard in a tree under similar circumstance - what an experience!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Basil and Jon, I so appreciate your time to view and comments.

Basil, I was in Kruger for two weeks in May and only had two leopard sightings. Last year in September I had eight...Vegetation was lush and beautiful after all the rain but made it rather difficult to see the wildlife. Was really pleased to find this leopard and unfortunately it was late afternoon, had to rush back to the camp.

And Jon I agree, it was so exciting to see this leopard. Your favourite animal - the lion - was scarce during this trip. Happy to say I have one roaring near the house this evening Found him yesterday outside the camp with a female and they were mating, will share an image or two in the next few days. Hopefully they'll be around for a while, I keep my camera gear in the vehicle just in case I see them on my way to work.

Hope you both have a wonderful rest of the week, once again many thanks for feedback,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a feel to the image Gabriela loved it. Fantastic image and framing.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Haseeb, really enjoyed this sighting, brief as it was
    Gabriela Plesea