Thread: Gentle Grip - Hyenas of the Kruger Park

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gentle Grip - Hyenas of the Kruger Park

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

I have recently returned from the Kruger Park. Had some amazing sightings as always but in terms of photography things have been rather difficult - lots of rain and the animals do not use the water holes... so less opportunities. Never seen the park so green in May, trees are flowering and grass is tall like in summer, thick bushes and swamps and wallows everywhere.
    My companion and I were lucky to come across a spotted hyena den and the mom was just busy moving her three cubs to another location, so we managed a few images. Here is a close-up of her and one of her little ones. Techs as follows:

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 8000
    F10
    1/3200s
    0 EV

Comments and critique always welcome. Hope you have a wonderful week ahead, and thank you for taking the time to view - much appreciated
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Gabriela, have only seen Lioness & Leopards do this, so it's a first for me.

Good detail and clarity, just a bit more on the darker 3/4 tones to add more tonal range & depth, the BKG could go a little smoother, I think you tweaked the exposure perhaps, you see a little on screen, but doubt if it was printed. The light grass is a problem as my eyes get drawn, perhaps just remove it?

You said you were a bit 'rusty' so here's a possible direction. Drop me a line as heading north again at first light.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela what a stunning sighting and glad you found the time and electricity to process an image for us !!!

I really like the tight framing as it does give the transport of the cub an intimate touch ... well done thought .

OP does look fine for me , but do agree that the BG could go smoother .
    Steve`s RP is for sure an option .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve and Andreas

Thank you so much for kind comments and for RP
    Glad you both found the scene interesting and I agree with you this needs a bit more work ( in order to look like your RP, Steve, which I like very much...Will drop you a line tonight!)

I will be back with more images...which I will try process when I have electricity

Hope you have a wonderful evening,

Warmest regards

Gabriela
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A GREAT example of how to capture new perspectives of somewhat common themes. A fantastic result made even better by Steves rp.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot Gabriel, sorry a bit late I have been away - for me the background is a little grainy, I can't help but feel this is due the the hyaenas being shown so well with super detail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much dear Jon!

Yes the BG a bit grainy and I did not take the time to do some NR. Steve's RP looks really nice:)

I am really rusty when it comes to PP...trying to find the time to process more

Did you have any sightings during your holiday, if yes let us have some !

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- This is an absolute stunner. Loved it. you made my day. Fantastic details .

Sorry for not being active on this forum as lots of things are going on my side but surely will start posting and commenting .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Haseeb,

And thank you so much for comments!

No need to apologise, I find myself in the same situation ever so often, barely back on the Forum and then something happens ( almost always work wise) and then I'm off again.

Very glad to hear from you and that all is good on your side, would be happy to see some images as soon as you find the time. Did you see any tigers lately?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea