Thread: Dickcissel from Tennessee

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dickcissel from Tennessee

Pet-sitting for 2 dogs and 3 cats in Nashville for another day before we head to Indianapolis for 4 days (1 dog) and Chicago for 10 (2 indoor/outdoor pigs and 6 chickens!).

Here's a frame from a local park. It was conceived as a birding outing, but I ran back to the car and grabbed my rig when there were Dickcissels singing
    from exposed perches, this guy lured with a audio.

I went with the loose crop for 2 reasons. First, the bird was a bit far off. A tighter vertical would be better, but I don't have pixels to maintain the IQ (already a heavier-than-usual crop).
    And second, this is the most uniform BG I've ever generated, so I figured an exaggerated crop would highlight it while still allowing the bird to pop.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS R5
    1/3200 at f/5.6, ISO 1600
    Processed in LR ad Topaz. Cloned a small clump of leave since their bright undersides were showing (and thereby distracting).

Name:  dickcissel 052522.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  398.9 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian ... stunning subject , very well processed . Nice head turn and simple perch .
    Color , tones and contrast looking good as does the sharpness .... even for a " large " crop .

The only thing I do wish would be a somehow structured BG , a bit too uniform for my liking .....

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird with a nice head turn toward you. I love the BKGR. Perhaps less YELLOW and a bit lighter on the greens.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A really fine image of the Dickissel Doran.

Fantastic lighting and angle, that limey backdrop is silky smooth and really love that budding stem its on. I think Artie has a fine point on a possible way to enhance the bkg.

Slight bit of haloing around the beak, but you could touch that up a bit only if you want, very minor.

Well seen, TY!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian, nice clean image. I am not familiar with the bird but all looks good. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the comp as is, very well balanced. Good pose here, and nice of the little guy to perch high on the branch. I would have ran back to the car too!