Thread: Roseate Spoonbills

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Roseate Spoonbills

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image on a rainy overcast day at a stop along Blackpoint Wildlife Drive in Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, Merritt Island, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm PF, camera and lens supported by a Oben carbon fiber monopod with a Wimberly MonoGimbal head
    1/1600 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +2/3 ISO 1000 Auto ! WB, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2022 and Topaz Denoise AI
    Cropped and canvas added for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 05-27-2022 at 12:35 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joseph. Got to love this composition. I love the pastel colours here and the reflections. If it were mine i'd get rid of the black dots on the lower left corner...my eyes were drawn to them (thought it was dirt on my monitor...lol) In a perfect world the two Spoombills would be interacting with each other, instead of one facing away, but that's just me. Would love to see these birds one day...so much more colourful than our Spoonbills. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Soft colors are really lovely, Joe. My issue here is that the two birds don't really tell a story, and the IQ isn't gonna hold up it you try to crop down on one of them; the birds are looking a bit crunchy as is, especially the legs and reflections.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Hi Joseph. Got to love this composition. I love the pastel colours here and the reflections. If it were mine i'd get rid of the black dots on the lower left corner...my eyes were drawn to them (thought it was dirt on my monitor...lol) In a perfect world the two Spoombills would be interacting with each other, instead of one facing away, but that's just me. Would love to see these birds one day...so much more colourful than our Spoonbills. TFS
    Hi Paul, thank you for viewing and commenting. It is believed that the spoonbills here get the pink/rose color from pigment in the crustaceans that they eat. I removed and dark spots in the lower left hand corner and will repost. Thanks again for being another set of eyes...
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    Soft colors are really lovely, Joe. My issue here is that the two birds don't really tell a story, and the IQ isn't gonna hold up it you try to crop down on one of them; the birds are looking a bit crunchy as is, especially the legs and reflections.
    Hey Dorian, where are you my friend??? LOL. Thank you for viewing and commenting. When you commented on the crunchiness of the legs and reflections I knew where it came from... Topaz Sharpen AI. I tried and different workflow on this image and it didn't work well. I was concentrating on the head and neck I never looked at the legs and reflections, didn't see the forest because of the trees. I did the image over again using my normal workflow, here is a repost.
    Joe Przybyla

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely feeling to this one, Joe. The repost is an improvement. I only wish for two things: that the left bird was preening his left wing instead of right; and that I had a chance to visit Merritt Island again.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe ... the moody scene with the soft colors and tones is looking really good .
    The subjects could have presented themselves a bit better ... but we do not get it all the time what we want .

Good that you revisited the image , after Dorian's comment ..... why would one use the plugin when the RP looks tons better than the OP ???!!!!

TFS Andreas