Thread: Kirtland's Warbler from Michigan

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kirtland's Warbler from Michigan

This frame was capture on the recent birding tour which I lead through Kentucky, Ohio, and Michigan. This warbler is incredible specialized; they nest in young Jack Pines
    in Michigan (and, to a much lesser degree, in Wisconsin and Ontario) and winter in the Bahamas. Given such narrow ecological constraints, it's not surprising that the species
    is listed as Endangered. The current population is estimated at ~2,500 pairs, but the species continues to improve with heavy-handed forest management.

As to the shot - I'm not thrilled with the bands, but I can live with them because they offer an entry point to discuss the species's life history and conservation. As this bird
    is entirely reliant on the Jack Pine, I'm totally cool with foliage surrounding the bird. Like the bands, the Jack Pine contributes to the story. The background is more pines
    against the sky.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS R5
    1/5000 at f/5.6, ISO 1600
    Processed in LR CC with a light pass through Topaz. Nothing cloned.

Name:  kirtland's warbler 051722.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  469.8 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am really enjoying your photo journey and I don't care about the bands, very
    hard shot to get and you got yours in nice light!
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

All looks good here...great pose perch and subject and the BG sets it off perfectly....

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great to me Dorian. Love the overall composition. maybe a degree or two more head turn? I'm also fine with the bands.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful. The head angle looks perfect to me. I love the framing and the BKGR. The bands? Not so much. Audio?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: There was one at Fort DeSoto earlier this spring!

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.