Thread: Blue-winged Warbler in Maple Veil....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue-winged Warbler in Maple Veil....

I've been playing around with OOF blur for artistic effect and really liked this result. I suspect opinions will vary, particularly
    with respect the little leaf across the bird's back, but I think this is one of my favorite frames that I've ever generated because
    it's so different from everything else in my portfolio.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS R5
    1/1250 at f/6.3, ISO 2500
    Cloned a a few dark spots in upper left and lower right corners.

Name:  blue-winged warbler 050822-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  430.3 KB

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like whatever you are doing to created that blur .You have produced good contrast between the subject and the B/G.Did you achieve this with the camera or what I think you used to call trickery whichever it works.Did you think of taking out the leaf just in front of the bird?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Everything done in camera. And no didn't consider removing leaf. Feel tat would be both too heavy handed and too difficult. Plus I've grown to really like it as this is how one sees warblers in the wild.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian ... I really like to hear you saying that you are leaving your super clean path of shooting , albeit maybe only for some images .

Very cool frame , would not change a thing in terms of comp , contrast and overall color and for sure would not even try to remove that leaf ..... would be a disaster , IMHO . But Ian can try ...

Personally I would try to burn the top of the yellow head ... does appear a bit hot to me .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love this image and I love the lead over the bird. And I like the leaf below the bill. I only wish to see the whole tail. Super-creative and well executed. Maybe bring down the YELLOW luminosity on the top of the head.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian, such a beautiful and creative canvas. Fantastic job man.

I personally am totally ok with the leaf across the back.

Your processing in terms of detail is usually spot on and no exception here. Choice of composition rocks!

At first glance the colors felt very overwhelming. Now I am a big fan of saturated colors, but frankly this just feels a bit too green. I couldn't nail it down so pulled it into LR and just for a quick glance pulled back the sat slider in greens only in the HSL palette and I think it helped a bit to get some color separation *NOTE - that is not necessarily my prescribed method of processing, just a quick check and only personal pref**

Play with it and see what you think. But overall, a joy to view sir!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this image a lot. Bird looks tack sharp, love the leaf myself and the blurred leaves really make this one pop. Nicely done!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Wowie, this is good and dreamy! Just for kicks I masked the bird then added some cyans to the rest of the frame - maybe not to your liking, but I certainly like the result with the warbler standing out a bit more against all those yellows.