Default Red Knot post Bathing

Attached Images Attached Images

May 12, 2022
    Ft DeSoto Park, Pinellas County, FL

1/2500
    f/5.6
    ISO 1000

Sony a1 with 600 f/4 and 1.4x

This wing flap is, IMO, the best of a sequence of ~25 images. I was happy to see several hundred knots on this day, and was even more happy to isolate a few. It was a near miracle as they tend to clump together for safety.
    david pugsley PHOTOGRAPHY
    http://www.davidpugsleyphoto.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific wing flap (not to mention colors, POV, a1's amazing eye focus. Nicely done. Good work isolating him; as you say, they do like to huddle together.

3. Thanks David Pugsley thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David ... a really cool frame of the bird with a lovely looking wing flap .
    Love the low POV , the overall colors and the tonal range . Love the smooth multicolored BG

I would try to avoid the sharpening halo , mostly visible along the beak .

TFS Andreas

5. Thanks David Pugsley thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it - great light and colours. I love the evenly spaced water drops. I'd be OK with a touch more room all around, but still good. Can't wait to try eye-detect focus with this behaviour.

7. Thanks David Pugsley thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful light, image, bird, and color. The low angle is great of course. Wing position gets 97/100. Tracking Zone of one of the Tracking: Spots? Something with the organ reflections looks funky. Please send me the raw file.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

9. Thanks David Pugsley thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Beautiful light, image, bird, and color. The low angle is great of course. Wing position gets 97/100. Tracking Zone of one of the Tracking: Spots? Something with the organ reflections looks funky. Please send me the raw file.

with love, artie
    Thanks Artie.
    Tracking Zone was used and I’ve texted you re the RAW file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. Any idea what caused the weird halo in the reflection. I am usually not the one to jump on stuff like that :)

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: I am not seeing any significant sharpening halo on the bill.

a
    \

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm a huge shorebird fan, so this sits really well with me; the low angle, lighting, pose, exposure, and sharpness all look great to me! I hardly noticed the reflection thingy Artie pointed out but I see what he means. Nothing wrong with it, just different.

I sometimes see similar 'halos' on the wet bills of shorebirds, even without much sharpening. So, I can see where Andreas is coming from but don't necessarily think you did anything wrong (i.e too much sharpening)

14. Thanks David Pugsley thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Opted to eliminate the odd reflection for a cleaner foreground.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, always liked your shorebird images. This is no exception.

Beautiful perspective and nice that the body and head all fell within the very shallow focal plane. Water color and smooth feel are fantastic!

I do see the halo around the beak and find that happening to me at times in the past depending on sharpening technique, though very minor.

In the RP you did correct the one nit I had which was the posterized color blotches. Much cleaner appeal now IMO.

17. Thanks David Pugsley thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful breeding colours, I got a very similar shot a few weeks ago I was thinking of posting but the colours are nowhere near as good as yours. Nice low perspective, I prefer the RP, but do agree on this occasion its a little oversharpened. Overall a lovely frame

Mike

19. Thanks David Pugsley thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am good with everything above. Here is my repost, with (I think) a slightly wider crop. And no really funky reflections. The funny thing is, the reflections in the raw file are right on the edge of being funky/strange ... LMK if you'd like me to send you my optimized version.

with love, artie