Thread: One Being More Aggressive ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default One Being More Aggressive ...

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on 28 April 2022 on Day 3 of the 2022 Spring Fort DeSoto IPT. I used the hand held Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II lens with the Sony FE 2x Teleconverter (at 230mm) and The One, the Sony Alpha 1 Mirrorless Digital Camera.. The exposure was determined via Zebras with ISO on the thumb dial. ISO 2000: 1/3200 sec. at f/5.6 (wide open) in Manual mode. AWB at 8:358am on a mostly cloudy morning. Tracking: Zone AF/C with Bird-Eye/Face Detection performed well enough.

When I saw a Great Egret flying directly away from me into the wind, I framed the image, acquired focus, and held the shutter button down for a short burst. After too many years of being ultra-conservative in such situations, I have finally gotten more aggressive. Two lady-friends, Anita North and Anke Frohlich, inspired me to be more aggressive when shooting action. They both used the same approach: get the bird in focus and hold the shutter button down. I got tired of seeing them create many great images by being relentlessly aggressive.

You can see the YouTube video with the entire sequence (and the other keeper) in the blog post here.

All comments are welcome and appreciated.
    with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quite the bird pretzel! Love the action and the lesson here. With digital there is no real reason to be hesitant even though we are all no doubt guilty at times. Love that the water is present for context and that both birds are above the horizon.
    david pugsley PHOTOGRAPHY
    http://www.davidpugsleyphoto.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, that's some amazing action, the sort for which you can't really prepare. It's the same with hockey/basketball; you gotta shoot to score, right? It's not the old days where you're paying by-the-slide, so fire away!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    Yeah, that's some amazing action, the sort for which you can't really prepare. It's the same with hockey/basketball; you gotta shoot to score, right? It's not the old days where you're paying by-the-slide, so fire away!
    Near the end of my film era, it cost about 52 cents to push the button. And do not forget that I am Jewish. The thought of paying $5.20 for a ten -frame burst still lingers in my mind :)

with love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 05-29-2022 at 03:32 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur ... superb action captured . Horizon line is a bit unfortunate , but while taking this high speed action no time to have that on the shooting menu .
    At least we can see the fish eye clearly .....

TFS Andreas

6. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Have to be honest - It tool me a while to actually work out who's body part belonged to who! Great action though, when is Anita running her own IPTs if this is the result

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
    Have to be honest - It tool me a while to actually work out who's body part belonged to who! Great action though, when is Anita running her own IPTs if this is the result

Mike
    Thanks, Mike.

I do not know. She refuses to talk to me :)

with love, a

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image Sir Arthur, truly enjoyed viewing! Superb timing, great techs and well processed too, just awesome

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Lovely image Sir Arthur, truly enjoyed viewing! Superb timing, great techs and well processed too, just awesome

Warmest regards,
    Thanks, Gabrieala. And lots of luck :)

with love, artie