Thread: Yellow Warbler with a1

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellow Warbler with a1

Attached Images Attached Images

I haven't posted anything for awhile; in fact due to Covid restrictions and knee surgery I haven't been out shooting much for quite a long time. I did get out to a local spot last week, to try out my new a1 and 200-600 Sony gear. I'm still learning to use it, but it does indeed seem promising. I'm also trying out Capture One Pro, which is also a learning curve for me. Anyway, here's a shot with the new gear and workflow.

a1, 200-600 @ 600mm, ISO 2000, 1/3200s @ f/7.1 manual, HH.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image Bill love the tree and hanging pods. A good thing just not another stick. The color with the pods and new leaves go well with the warbler. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love it. Especially the soft light. I have been posting lots of stuff on the blog at ISO 4000 and 5000. With Topaz DeNoise, you cannot even tell that a high ISO was used.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think this is very beautiful Bill . I really like the fact that she/he is partly hidden because that's how it mostly is. It is in essence 'Spring'. Did you have the eye focus on? because I am finding this set up can pick them up even with the foliage you have here and if they fly you are in business.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to the A1 club Bill! I think its an incredible camera but still have regret that I had to sell my canon 600mm f4 to fund the move

Anyway, the shot! Nicely framed, sharpness and colours seem bang on, maybe a touchdual in presentation, but otherwise a nice post

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Bill:

Glad you are getting out and about. Always exciting to break in a new camera and lens. Not so much the software! At least for me.

I like the soft light, and the detailed perch. Glad the head is clear of the leaves, and it stands out nicely against the background.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds like you are feeling better, and nice to hear that you were out and about! Lovely bird and lovely perch - I love the shape of the leaves. I could do without the one obstructing the chest, but overall I am fine with the image. Have fun with the new gear!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bird looks great and nice comp...
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for your comments. Yes, Ian, I did have the eye AF on. It works like magic much of the time, locking on to the small eye of a tiny bird at 50+ feet away. But I did have several frames in this sequence where the leaf in front of the bird's chest was in sharper focus than the eye; user error I suppose.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Bill, very attractive image.
    I do have reservations over the catkins or flowers, is it a masking issue? There seems to be a rather hard edge to them.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jonathan. Yes, there is a masking issue with the catkins.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really pretty Bill. I love the color palette of yellow and green. I agree that there is a masking issue with the catkins but that is an easy fix with a redo! Congrats on the new gear and glad your knee is better.My hubby is on day 18 post -op from his knee replacement so I know what a painful and difficult recovery you experienced.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gail. I wish you husband a good recovery. It's a much longer process than I had imagined.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
    Welcome to the A1 club Bill! I think its an incredible camera but still have regret that I had to sell my canon 600mm f4 to fund the move

Anyway, the shot! Nicely framed, sharpness and colours seem bang on, maybe a touchdual in presentation, but otherwise a nice post

Mike
    That's exactly what's preventing me from switching; I cannot afford the 13K to replace my 600 II.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, a very nice frame as others have said. As Dan said, the bit obstructing the chest isn't perfect but it's still more than passable. This is a perfect representation of how this bird appears in the spring.