Thread: Sharp or Knot Sharp?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sharp or Knot Sharp?

Attached Images Attached Images

I originally posted this image herein Avian. Most suggested that it needed to be darker. This is my repost. So why am I posting it as a new thread? In the original post, Andreas Liedmann, while trashing most everything about the image, wrote in pert:

At least as posted the image is not sharp.

I was puzzled by that comment, especially when others agreed about it not being sharp. Please see the unsharpened 100% crop in the next pane.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is an unsharpened 100 percent crop of the master file, the optimized TIFF. Aside from the motion blur on the foot, it certainly looks sharp enough to me. How does it look to you?

Please understand that I am not being defensive here; I am -- after 38+ years, trying to learn.

thanks with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Certainly looks sharp to me, at least around the head, where it counts most. Sharpness seems to fall off elsewhere from DOF and motion. Love the light, pose, foamy surf.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, it looks well focused to me, i.e. sharp, the right leg is of course moving but that is just fine - you have captured a behavioural pose. I like the reflection in the water on the beach.
    This image looks pretty much the same or very similar to your last pane #11 image to me. I like it.

I am sure Andreas needs no defensive comments from me and of course neither would you but I am sensing that there is a certain amount of tetchiness creeping into recent posts. I have mentioned similar in previous different posts (and also in the Mod Forum).
    I am not seeking to instruct to anyone in any way but maybe a little moderation in commenting style may be a reasonable consideration. I apologise to all concerned if I appear to be speaking out of tune, or exceeding my position as a Moderator, I am merely trying to keep things pleasant.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Artie, it looks well focused to me, i.e. sharp, the right leg is of course moving but that is just fine - you have captured a behavioural pose. I like the reflection in the water on the beach.
    This image looks pretty much the same or very similar to your last pane #11 image to me. I like it.

I am sure Andreas needs no defensive comments from me and of course neither would you but I am sensing that there is a certain amount of tetchiness creeping into recent posts. I have mentioned similar in previous different posts (and also in the Mod Forum).
    I am not seeking to instruct to anyone in any way but maybe a little moderation in commenting style may be a reasonable consideration. I apologise to all concerned if I appear to be speaking out of tune, or exceeding my position as a Moderator, I am merely trying to keep things pleasant.
    Jon, With all due respect, it helps to read what I wrote: I originally posted this image here in Avian.

I have no problem with folks not liking an image, but if an image is very sharp as this one is, I cannot understand Andreas motivation for saying otherwise. And as is often the case, once one person states something, others who follow are often quick to agree :)

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The OP is sharp where it matters. What the close crop shows is the loss in detail that occurs as a consequence of saving for web at 600kb.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Driscoll View Post
    The OP is sharp where it matters. What the close crop shows is the loss in detail that occurs as a consequence of saving for web at 600kb.
    Thanks Colin. I am not sure about the "loss of detail" that you mention. Remember that at the tight crop is unsharpened. Do you look at your images at 100% often?

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Certainly looks razor sharp on my posh 32" 4k screen at home! Probably even better on a shiny MacBook screen.

I love this site, it's helped me enormously, and I do fully appreciate the importance of the tech side of our genre.

However, I do feel we often lose our way by trying to squeeze every ounce of detail out of every frame whilst ignoring possible comments on light, composition, environmental interests etc, all because (for instance) the tertial feather on the left wing has a reading of 252/253/252 and should have been lowered in post. Just an example, obviously not for this frame.

As for the shot, personally I love the moving leg, half reflection and the bubbles in the water

Mike

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, not sure if this helps, but when viewed at 100% (6.4 x 4.4 inches, 1920px wide at 300ppi) the image is super sharp with good detail and clarity, looks the 'Bees knees'. When viewed on line to me the IQ has dropped as the image must be scaled up, as 1920px isn't beyond 6x4 inches, yet it fills my new 16 inch MB pro screen and beyond, fits better on the monitors at home. Even when taken into Lr or PS as is, at 100% the exposure looks perfect, great spread of data across the histogram, nothing clipped, with a nice space at either end of the histogram, good Tonal range across the board, but this is at 6.4 x 4.4 inches.

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Certainly looks razor sharp on my posh 32" 4k screen at home! Probably even better on a shiny MacBook screen.
    Hi Mike it will do on the 319, but even Eizo admit that 4k are based more for Video than stills, albeit a very small margin between them now. Personally I not a great fan of these high gloss screens, the images do look punchy, sharp and vivid, but is nature?

I'm currently viewing on the 16 inch M1 Max and the colours do looks very cool, but will have to wait till July to get the new Eizo monitors once launch in June, fingers crossed. Glad you are enjoying it.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post

I love this site, it's helped me enormously, and I do fully appreciate the importance of the tech side of our genre.

However, I do feel we often lose our way by trying to squeeze every ounce of detail out of every frame whilst ignoring possible comments on light, composition, environmental interests etc, all because (for instance) the tertial feather on the left wing has a reading of 252/253/252 and should have been lowered in post. Just an example, obviously not for this frame.

As for the shot, personally I love the moving leg, half reflection and the bubbles in the water

Mike
    Thanks a stack, Mike. I agree that more emphasis here should be on the artistic merits of an image and less on what I see as the technical BS. Here is another example: Perhaps you might add 1 point of MAGENTA to the image.

much love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Artie, not sure if this helps, but when viewed at 100% (6.4 x 4.4 inches, 1920px wide at 300ppi) the image is super sharp with good detail and clarity, looks the 'Bees knees'. When viewed on line to me the IQ has dropped as the image must be scaled up, as 1920px isn't beyond 6x4 inches, yet it fills my new 16 inch MB pro screen and beyond, fits better on the monitors at home. Even when taken into Lr or PS as is, at 100% the exposure looks perfect, great spread of data across the histogram, nothing clipped, with a nice space at either end of the histogram, good Tonal range across the board, but this is at 6.4 x 4.4 inches.

Steve
    Thanks, Steve. I am not a very technical person, but if I get what you are saying, is that the image can look very different on various monitors. That is very helpful. I am on a 16" MacBook Pro M1 and I dod not post anything that does not look quite excellent. Thus I was surprised by Andreas' total trashing of the originally posted image -- especially his "not sharp" comment.

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, I too don't fall into 'Arash's Camp of Technology' but it would be good to know when uploading an image, does 'the system' scale up the image, as 1920px at 100% is only 6.4 inches, but when viewed as I said it's far bigger?

Now Artie a question for you, it appears we both have the new, blazingly fast, MBP 16in, however.... when you go to the System Prefs > Display > you can set the Display/screen to various pre sets to view, it offers P3 - 65 Photography, have you changes yours and if so, what too or kept it to Factory settings? Personally I much prefer to do ALL PP work on a desktop monitor, as a laptop screen can change the look of a file just by the tilt of the head or screen as you know, but not it's sharpness IMHO, if that makes sense.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Certainly sharp, and I'm liking the subtly darker version here. The colours do look richer as I thought they would. I guess you could reduce one point of cyans (just joking!)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp enough but the OOF foot ruins it for me and it looks like you tried to sharpen it?
    Dan Kearl

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie... I thought your first post of this image was sharp and so it this one. I knew you did it but wonder why you do all your post processing of images on a laptop. I would guess a habit from being away from home/office so often. Anyways, good solid image, thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, as mentioned, the first go round did feel a touch soft to my eyes.

This one does appear nicely sharpened and I also like the color punch as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Artie, as mentioned, the first go round did feel a touch soft to my eyes.

This one does appear nicely sharpened and I also like the color punch as well.
    Thanks for re-visiting. The only difference with the repost was darkening it. Sizing and sharpening were identical :)

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Artie... I thought your first post of this image was sharp and so it this one. I knew you did it but wonder why you do all your post processing of images on a laptop. I would guess a habit from being away from home/office so often. Anyways, good solid image, thank you for sharing.
    Thanks, Joe. Yes, I travel a lot. And I find the laptop super convenient (even though Arash frowns upon it). Many of my digital images that have been processed on this or that laptop have been honored in international contests ...

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    Sharp enough but the OOF foot ruins it for me and it looks like you tried to sharpen it?
    Hi Dan, Did not sharpen the foot. Some folks love the blurred foot, others hate it. No worries there. I like it :)

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Artie, I too don't fall into 'Arash's Camp of Technology' but it would be good to know when uploading an image, does 'the system' scale up the image, as 1920px at 100% is only 6.4 inches, but when viewed as I said it's far bigger?

Now Artie a question for you, it appears we both have the new, blazingly fast, MBP 16in, however.... when you go to the System Prefs > Display > you can set the Display/screen to various pre sets to view, it offers P3 - 65 Photography, have you changes yours and if so, what too or kept it to Factory settings? Personally I much prefer to do ALL PP work on a desktop monitor, as a laptop screen can change the look of a file just by the tilt of the head or screen as you know, but not it's sharpness IMHO, if that makes sense.
    Hi Steve,

I have no idea. I have not changed anything. WHAT IS P3 - 65 Photography???

Ignorant of the technical stuff as always :)

with love, a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Certainly sharp, and I'm liking the subtly darker version here. The colours do look richer as I thought they would. I guess you could reduce one point of cyans (just joking!)
    I think maybe two points of CYAN :). That one made me laugh!

with love, artie