Thread: Great Blue Heron

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Blue Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

I went to Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County Florida early this morning. Not many birds but I did find a cooperative Great Blue Heron. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm PF + Nikon 1.4 III Teleconverter, camera and lens supported by a Oben carbon fiber monopod with a Wimberly MonoGimbal head
    1/4000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 1100 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 700mm (1050mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2022 and Topaz Denoise AI
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 05-12-2022 at 02:31 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe:

A dramatic, unusual pose. Effective composition with soft background.
    Well exposed.

If time allowed, perhaps the classic focus part way down the bill to move the DOF sweet spot around a bit more towards you to help with the tip of the bill. I don't however find the slight blurring of the bill to be a deal breaker as is.

The eye is dramatic enough to pull our attention.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Different for sure Joe love the misplaced feathers on the head. Great detail and like the green background. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe ... nice different portrait !!!
    The whole bill looks like it has some slight motion blur ... not only the tip . Just my take
    Too much blue in the bill and head ... at least for my taste

TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Joe ... nice different portrait !!!
    The whole bill looks like it has some slight motion blur ... not only the tip . Just my take
    Too much blue in the bill and head ... at least for my taste

TFS Andreas
    Hi Andreas, thank you for viewing and commenting. Really surprised you see motion blur, the shutter speed was 1/4000 on a basically stationary subject. Regarding the blue maybe I could desaturate the blue a bit, I'll revisit the image.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe ... well I might have misinterpreted the sharpness specially in the bill from the base to the tip . So forget my comment about the motion blur .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the eyes, the BKGR, and the top of the bead. D-O-F is seemingly amazing until you consider the distance to the bird with the 1.5X crop factor body and the TC. The poor bird, however, needed a bill tip transplant -- it sure is beaten up pretty good.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, have you thought about taking it off centre with less to the right and RoT for the eye???

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, have you thought about taking it off centre with less to the right and RoT for the eye???

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, thank you for viewing and commenting. Here is a edit with the bird moved further right with the eye on the right side thirds line. WDYT?
    Joe Przybyla

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is a edit with the bird moved further right with the eye on the right side thirds line. WDYT?
    Joe, I think it's more important as you are the author, WDYT, as I just suggested it to you, however is it better, an improvement, or worse. Just throwing in options.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Joe, I think it's more important as you are the author, WDYT, as I just suggested it to you, however is it better, an improvement, or worse. Just throwing in options.
    Hi Steve, I like both. I a balance person, if a picture or mirror on the wall is not level I level or want to level it. That's why i chose a more centered location, the image seemed to balance better, at least to me. But the right side placement is more traditional/dramatic, so I'll keep both. Thank you for your suggestion.
    Joe Przybyla