Thread: backlit pelican 2

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default backlit pelican 2

Name:  preening-whilte-pelican-2-1920.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  578.0 KB

Another backlit from when Joe P showed me around Lake Morton. A couple of blown feathers that I can live with as its a strongly against the light, and physical capabilities are always an issue in this kind of shooting

Sony A1
    200-600 @ 473mm
    ISO 1250
    1/640th f6.3

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  preening-whilte-pelican-2-1920-v2.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  592.5 KB

A bit of a blue cast in the first, taken out when I noticed it posted here!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you did a great job exposing this one Mike! I like the repost better and I like the pose as well.

4. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike, really unique pose, which is awesome and a really cool backlit effect.

Nice catch on the cast and good correction. I feel the framing works well.

The brightness of the sun around the head is just a bit overwhelming from here. If you play with some channel blending and tame it just a touch, it might help the overall feel.

TFS friend.

6. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike you have opened my mine for sure on backlit subjects. Works really well on Pelicans. The blue is ever so slight on the first doesn't bother me. More of a dark or shadow effect rather than blue. On the near side maybe the way it should be. Sometimes we hang up on perfection where its not meant. Love the detail on this just a super nice image. TFS

8. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike ... nice pose and you did quite well under the lighting circumstances .
    I am 50/50 about the missing light feathers .... and would definitely give the dark tones a slight boost to create a bit more form , as the face does appear a bit flat . IMHO

Hope you are enjoying the swop to the other side of camera kit .

TFS Andreas

10. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both versions are beautiful. Especially since you have the WHITEs on the shaded side beautifully white! And that ain't easy to do.

Which white feathers bug you?

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Both versions are beautiful. Especially since you have the WHITEs on the shaded side beautifully white! And that ain't easy to do.

Which white feathers bug you?

with love, a
    Hi Artie, glad you're over the Covid issue

I'm fine with the feathers after I removed the blues. In a perfect world I would have preferred not to have any of them totally blown like the ones in the neck area, but I can certainly live with them due to the lighting here. I appreciate the comments from others about more detail in certain areas but I kept it like this due to the high key effect

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
    Hi Artie, glad you're over the Covid issue

I'm fine with the feathers after I removed the blues. In a perfect world I would have preferred not to have any of them totally blown like the ones in the neck area, but I can certainly live with them due to the lighting here. I appreciate the comments from others about more detail in certain areas but I kept it like this due to the high key effect

Mike
    Do you mean the feathers on the top of the back of the neck where the nest bends (at the bottom)? I never even noticed them. In the same vein, many folks do not understand that white feathers in soft light are never going to show any fine feather detail (FFD) unless you make them gray (or grey on your side of the pond).

much love, a

ps: my COVID did not amount to much at all.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.