Thread: Harra-Cara

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Harra-Cara

Name:  20220504-HarrisHawk-Caracara-midair-Brian-Sump-BSR69969-Edit-Edit-CROP-V-SHARPEN-v10.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  570.6 KB

Enjoyed a really nice few days with Kurt Bowman, Vaughn Larsen and a couple other buddies at the Santa Clara Ranch in S Texas.

Hector is a gracious host and this was my first set up/ranch experience. Almost overwhelming how amazing it was.

------

This was one of the fun action frames during the raptors session. Was fortunate to get a mid-air encounter of the Harris Hawk defending his perch and food against the Caracara. Hope you enjoy.

Canon R6
    100-500mm RF
    500mm - handheld
    ISO 2500
    1/3200
    f7.1

LR and PS, NI for noise. Blended a couple faint twigs and evicted a small bit of the perch from right. Raw chicken used as bait.
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 05-07-2022 at 07:19 PM.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action shot and pretty sharp too! I know this will sound strange coming from me (I don't like plastic smooth featureless backgrounds very much) but the blotchy background doesn't do much to enhance the birds, maybe addressing the large dark patch under the hawk would help?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured Brian......I really like the position of the talons ......and, the HA on the top bird....Very nice detail and colours throughout.....I would try sharpening the head on the lower bird...just a wee bit....How do you like the R6 compared to the R5....for flight photography....

Well done

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool to see this two-species interaction. Good poses on both individuals. I can see Jon's point about the darker area in the BG, but I like it anyhow. Looking forward to more from your experience there as it sounds like you guys had such a blast there!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great timing nailing this action Brian! I know how fast this happened and your anticipation was perfect! I’m totally fine with the BG. You were shooting wide open so nothing else could be done. Really nice work and wow was that fun!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the feedback everyone.

Jon, totally hear you. The 100-500 just lacks that nice silky bkg sometimes.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian ... being late to the party .
    Killer action image !!!
    No nits ... just enjoying this one , hopefully more to come .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Brian,

good action, perfect detail.
    congratulations

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Thank you for the feedback everyone.

Jon, totally hear you. The 100-500 just lacks that nice silky bkg sometimes.
    Sump Scores. I disagree. The problem with the background here is that the background is just too close to the birds ... Think about it. I though that you were going for migrant warblers?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Compared to the 600mm?

That lens at the same distance has a beautiful, blurred bkg. I was changing between both - one on the R5 and one on the R6. But yes, if they moved the trees back that would have been great ;-)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Compared to the 600mm?

That lens at the same distance has a beautiful, blurred bkg. I was changing between both - one on the R5 and one on the R6. But yes, if they moved the trees back that would have been great ;-)
    Sump Scores. I should have mentioned that the background problem with this image was cause in part by what must have been a relatively short focal length, probably 300-400mm at most. So yes, the 600mm f/4 at the same distance would have had a lovely soft background but 99% of that would have been the result of the difference iii focal lengths (not the difference in the wide open aperture of the two lenses ...) And you can quote me on that :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.