Thread: Four Eyed Water Monster...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Four Eyed Water Monster...

Attached Images Attached Images

Early morning yesterday I captured this image of a American Alligator at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. I was undecided on how to rotate/align the image, whether to use the waterline or the slit pupil on the alligator and reflection. I decided to use the slit pupil and let the water line fall as it may because the alligator was at a slight angle to me. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm PF + Nikon 1.4 III Teleconverter, camera and lens supported by a Oben carbon fiber monopod with a Wimberly MonoGimbal head
    1/3200 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 1000 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 700mm (1050mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2022 and Topaz Denoise AI
    Cropped for composition and presentation

P.S. Learn more about Circle B Bar Reserve in the BAA Middle Florida Photography Site Guide that Artie and I co-authored. It is available at this link https://birdsasart-shop.com/the-baa-...ic-site-guide/
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, nice to see you here.

I like the concept and framing, but to me, it's not quite sharp and there appears to be quite a few artefacts around/halos. Was this a large crop, did you have to lift the exposure?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Happy with orientation, there does appear to be an obvious mask line around the subject. The darks in the skin look very dense, I think a little gentle processing on the raw file would reveal more detail, checking out Clarity might increase the perception of sharpness.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, nice to see you here.

I like the concept and framing, but to me, it's not quite sharp and there appears to be quite a few artefacts around/halos. Was this a large crop, did you have to lift the exposure?

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, thank you for viewing and commenting. Water shimmer, I think that is why not quite sharp. A problem in the warmer months here when photographing near the waters surface. I had another go at the image using Topaz to try to eliminate the shimmer. WDYT?
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, If I'm being honest, I think there is too many issues with the original you are pushing a rock up a hill. The OP is sharper, but overall the Blacks are to harsh and solid, leaving very little detail, especially finer detail to come through.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, If I'm being honest, I think there is too many issues with the original you are pushing a rock up a hill. The OP is sharper, but overall the Blacks are to harsh and solid, leaving very little detail, especially finer detail to come through.
    Hi Steve, I have to agree with you, too much shimmer close to the water. Thanks again for viewing and commenting.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe ... a nice shot and I like the greenery on the back of the head .
    But from the technical POV it does not work really ... so I would echo Steve's thoughts here .
    The OP has some funky artifacts on the edges ....

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Joe,

A bit late here, please forgive me...just my thoughts briefly:

Love the image design and reflection as well as POV. For me the subject looks a bit unnatural in terms of colour and IQ is not up to your standards - perhaps a big crop?

The little green branch a nice touch, adds interest. OP seems sharper than the RP - too much noise reduction? At 1/3200s this should have been super sharp. Choice of aperture good, nice techs overall.

Thank you so much for sharing, have a wonderful rest of the week-end!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The original is sharper and looks fine to me but for some barely visible artifacting on the edge of the upper eye socket (???) above each eye. And I have to imagine seeing even that. I love the vegetation. I would use the Ruler Tool and got from the bottom of the eye slit to the top of the eye slit in the reflection (which is actually the bottom) :) It looks pretty close to that. To my eyes this is an excellent image. Go figure.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.